Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
er yeah so i just bought a 7'6" stiff action rod and i also have a 6' stiff action will the longer rod give me better casting distance and wich one will be the better for wading around docks and fishing the grass shallow beds? what will be the major differences in the two? i use a pen 430 with 10 lb power pro but may switch to 8 lb fireline crystal and fish with live bait though i may try some artificials after some of you guys advice on the matter.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
As with almost anything in fishing, everyone will probably give you a different answer based on personal preference.

Usually, the longer the rod, the greater the casting distance. Basic physics: the longer the radius, the greater the rotational momentum/velocity.

Stiff rods usually cast heavier baits and lures better than they do light ones. If you plan on using lots of small artificials & live baits (ex: small jigs, shrimp, pilchards/LY's, etc.) a lighter rod-tip will give you more distance and less likelihood of ripping the bait off the hook. If throwing big baits and lures (ex: croakers, big pinfish, mullet, heavy jigs, plugs, etc.) a stiffer rod will give you more distance.

For fighting fish around structure, short & stiff rods will give you the most leverage for turning stubborn fish trying to wrap your line around pillings. Braided line won't stretch and can be good around structure since it won't part as easily as mono from abrasion.

For fighting fish in open water, especially fast swimming fish that can accelerate and turn on a dime, a longer more flexible rod may be better. It can allow you to retrieve longer distances of line per pump as well as absorb the sudden shock of directions/speed changes. Mono stretches and can help with absorbing shock as well.

I am a tall guy (6'2") and personally prefer rods in the 7'6" - 8'6" range. I just like the way they handle and cast long distances to be able to cover more water. I do have shorter rods that I use often, just depends on the type of fishing I'm doing. I fish from a kayak and usually have 3-4 rods of different lengths and flex for different situations.

I'd recommend setting up each rod for a specific task. When you are targeting wading around docks, use the 6footer since it will give you the most maneuverability. Also, upping to 20ish lbs braid will help you get tough fish away from pilings.

When you plan on fishing open flats, go with the 7'6" and as light of line as possible so you can maximize your casting distance. 10lbs braid is great for reaching out and touching fish from distance.

All this is my personal preference, nothing is written in stone. Play around with different arrangements and figure out what works for your fishing style.

Alex

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great info yak thanx alot. so i think i will put my 430 on my 7'6" with 10 lb and a 440 on my 6' with 20 lb

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 20pt">SIZE ALWAYS MATTERS!!

·
Super Moderator
19,837 Posts
MGuns (1/28/2010)<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 20pt">SIZE ALWAYS MATTERS!!
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>Thats what she said.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Splittine (1/28/2010)
MGuns (1/28/2010)<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 20pt">SIZE ALWAYS MATTERS!!
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>Thats what she said.

Somebody had to say it... :nonono

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,986 Posts
My wife likes my pole!!! Says its pretty stiff....: letsdrink

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
This will sound strange, but Ms Dixie has an 8 footer...PowerPole that is. Apparently size does matter, Lane would like for it to be 10 feet. Does that sound familiar????:poke

1 - 8 of 8 Posts