Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that anytime there is a chance of bad weather Fort Pickens closes the park, makes all the campers leave, etc. I can understand the threats from a tropical system with sustained high winds and seas, but why close the park for a typical cold front passage of storms that should end in a few hours? A typical summertime severe thunderstorm can cause plenty of trouble for folks but you don’t see closures and evacuations for those multiple events.
It just seems like an exaggeration by the park service to close the parks for not so unusual weather.

· Registered
654 Posts
Yes,,, The Rangers DO NOT like campers , if they had it thier way the Campground would be Closed PERMANENTLY. They think that Ft.Pickens belongs to them and the general public should NOT be allowed to even come and see the Fort .But surprise this fort belongs to all citizens of the USA and not only the Park Rangers….I would not camp there even if it was FREE and they (the Rangers ) gave me a brand New Motorhome to stay in .

· Registered
84 Posts
Any time they expect the road out there to be under water or covered by sand, they are going to close it in caution. Too many Of us doing stupid stuff in normal conditions. None of us are the pioneers some of our forbears were. Nothing worse than being responsible for dozens of folks with no direct ambulance access by land. I don’t like it either, but if you go out there immediately after some of these weather events, sometimes they have moved sand, probably in thousands of tons to open the road.

· Registered
15,628 Posts
For the past two days, there has been high waves from south winds, the coming front has caused weather alerts on my phone for two days.
When this happens, they are fearful of road closures by high water on the road and possible road covered in sand, making it impassable.
This traps tourists on the Island, thus the closure. Today all have to be off by 10 am.
The rangers then know no one will trapped, and if a medical emergency occurs, unable to access them.

Now, are they over zealous, probably.
But it is Government

· US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
4,556 Posts
It seems that anytime there is a chance of bad weather Fort Pickens closes the park, makes all the campers leave, etc. I can understand the threats from a tropical system with sustained high winds and seas, but why close the park for a typical cold front passage of storms that should end in a few hours? A typical summertime severe thunderstorm can cause plenty of trouble for folks but you don’t see closures and evacuations for those multiple events.
It just seems like an exaggeration by the park service to close the parks for not so unusual weather.
Local Weather report for late tonight into early morning hours are High winds gusting 50+mph and possible tornadoes.
I guess they just don't want anyone blown into the sound whilst they slept in their campers or tents.

here's the National Weather Report;

Text Products for ZFP Issued by MOB (weather.gov)

scroll to bottom, then come up to the 3rd city areas (ft pickens)

· Registered
378 Posts
I had my camper at Big Lagoon for 2 weeks when a storm was coming....I was in MS when they called and said I had till dark to get it moved or they were going to tow it and charge me with trespassing. I told them it was insured...lock the gate and I'll pray for the best. They weren't having that....I had to pay a guy to move it for me.

· Registered
61 Posts
I had my camper at Big Lagoon for 2 weeks when a storm was coming....I was in MS when they called and said I had till dark to get it moved or they were going to tow it and charge me with trespassing. I told them it was insured...lock the gate and I'll pray for the best. They weren't having that....I had to pay a guy to move it for me.
Can't comment on how NPS does their policy stuff, but FPS is controlled by the FPS director. When they decide there is a pending disaster, they say when and how things will be done. The local park may have better ideas that would be more "customer service oriented" and work better locally, but that's not how things are done. State-wide policies with very limited deviation allowed.

· Registered
61 Posts
T
I guess there must be some type of liability on their part, or they just want a couple extra paid days off?
Yes, liability is the driving force behind all of it. Has zero to do with days off because the Rangers will be working even if the park is closed to the public.

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Curious if anyone went out to Ft Pickens on Wednesday after the "very severe weather", any damage or roads sanded over?
I understand the forecasting and liability issues, it is just practicing risk management. But sometimes it's just overkill closing the park for a not so unusual event.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts