Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Arkansas, we are required to tag our deer and report our kill. We are allowed to kill our doe(s) any time that a legal season is open. Depending on the zone, we can kill 1 to 4 does.

What do you'all think of this system? I am glad of the doe days we have in Florida, but it's nice to be able to fill your tag whenever it's the right time for you.

·
SaltWaterDave
1,852 Posts
I would much rather have that system even more than this years option of the weekends in December. That would surely help thin the does and fill the freezer.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
One doe tag? I would be all for this. But I would personally not support anything that got more does killed than there is now. In all honesty I would personally support less in Florida and Alabama.

·
Super Moderator
28,630 Posts
I think EVERYONE should get at least 2 doe tags like KY and a chance to purchase more if wanted.... Then forget about the 2 days here, 2 days there.....

·
PFF Official Referee
5,244 Posts
I dunno... they give us 30 days (archery) to theoretically kill 60 doe per hunter. Yes I know not everyone bowhunts. Two tags might be too much Jase. That's at least 3600 deer gone from BW alone. I dunno...Im not an expert.... I shoot em when I can... I just like huntin'...

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Arkansas probably has better habitat for deer; therefore, probably higher fawning (twins, triplets) and higher recruitment (growing fawns to maturity). In places like that, you can kill all the nannies you see, and still not kill enough.

Florida has much lower deer density because of poor habitat and less rebound from overharvest. FWC addressed that by shortening the number of days you can take does. Sure, there are some areas in the DMU that could use some doe thinning, but overall, it's probably a good thing and will be appreciated in the years to come. And as Espo stated, lots of nannies are taken during bow season.

If you control (own or lease), 600 contiguous acres, you can apply for doe permits allowing you to take does outside of the "antlerless" season. We have 1200 acres in our club and pass out 1 tag per member (4 total).

I would like to see Florida go to a tagging system for all deer so they can get an accurate count of how many deer are taken. We are one of the few states in the NATION that doesn't count harvested deer, yet Florida allows 2 deer per day from October until February. ????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts