Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are some pics of a deer my 13yr old nephew caught on his camera in his back yard and I have no idea what is wrong with this deer..I have never seen anything like this before. Can anyone help with a answer?

?

·
Registered
356 Posts
i have no idea. there was i picture of something similar awhile back but dont think it had that many.

id shoot it and and burn the body if its contagious, at least to put it out of its misery

·
Registered
633 Posts
Cutaneous Fibromas

Cutaneous fibromas, which are caused by a virus, are confined to the skin and do not affect the meat.

These wartlike growths can cover large portions of the body, but usually are small, single to multiple, and range from a fraction of an inch to several inches in diameter. They are caused by a virus that often infects the deer through a wound. Fibromas are more common in bucks because they are more likely to incur wounds while fighting other bucks and rubbing antlers.

Although sometimes grotesque in appearance, fibromas generally do no harm to deer. The virus that causes them to grow in whitetails does not infect other wild animals, domestic animals or humans. Fibromas are confined to the skin and, therefore, are removed when the deer is processed for consumption. They do not affect the quality of the meat.

http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/mammals/deer/disease.htm

·
Registered
79 Posts
Both of these deer have Fibromas. The doe will most likely have no problems but your nephew needs to put that little buck out of his misery. His will most likely continue to get worse and will cause body function problems.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well Mo, I guess we'll be eating fibromass chili for lunch by Friday. Two person rule...three person rule...oh well.

·
Registered
12,856 Posts
"Fibromas are confined to the skin and, therefore, are removed when the deer is processed for consumption. They do not affect the quality of the meat."

HECK NO! there is no way I could eat that thing without yakking! Might give it to a friend, though. you need some deer meat, Don?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I believe you when you say it dosent affect the meat but guess what thiers no way for me. i would shoot it and put it out of its misery.

·
Super Moderator
28,504 Posts
I shot a deer a few years back that had a large mass of growths....FWC took a sample and sent it fer testing...I could swear they told me it was caused by infestation of ticks...They also said the meat is fine to eat...and I did....here's a couple :takephoto:takephoto:takephoto

Looks Tasteeeeeeeeeee!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts