Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a Shimano Calcutta TE 700 Round Baitcast Reel. I am thinking about getting this reel for big grouper since it has aGear Ratio of 4.7:1 and use it for ajs also. Just want some reviews if anyone has this reel.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Brandon, first I want to say sorryI couldn't make it yesterday. I didn't get out of work until later than I planned.

Second, I've used the 700 TE many times and they are very smooth and havedecent amount of torque but for the money I would get soemthing with a faster gear ratio. The ratio provided seems ample enough but the spool on the 700 is of a pretty small diameter so even with a faster ratio it still doesn't boast nearly the retrieve rate.

If you are planning on spending that kind of money and keep it about the same size I would get one of the following:

Trindad 16 (my favorite), Saltiga 30 or Accurate Boss Mag 270

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tunapopper (1/16/2010)Brandon, first I want to say sorryI couldn't make it yesterday. I didn't get out of work until later than I planned.

Second, I've used the 700 TE many times and they are very smooth and havedecent amount of torque but for the money I would get soemthing with a faster gear ratio. The ratio provided seems ample enough but the spool on the 700 is of a pretty small diameter so even with a faster ratio it still doesn't boast nearly the retrieve rate.

If you are planning on spending that kind of money and keep it about the same size I would get one of the following:

Trindad 16 (my favorite), Saltiga 30 or Accurate Boss Mag 270

PM sent

1 - 4 of 4 Posts