Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a few hours at Mid Bay Bridge giving DOA shrimp a try. I had no luck and only one hit. I heard so much about these and was a little surprised at the my lack of fish today. It's possible I just wasn't on fish, or I wasn't working this artificial correctly. I'm curious how do you folks fish this lure? I was getting close to the structures and letting it drop, hitting bottom and jigging it back.

Thanks

Clay

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Clayjunky (3/7/2010)I spent a few hours at Mid Bay Bridge giving DOA shrimp a try. I had no luck and only one hit. I heard so much about these and was a little surprised at the my lack of fish today. It's possible I just wasn't on fish, or I wasn't working this artificial correctly. I'm curious how people fish this lure.

Thanks

Clay

ive had most of my luck with a doa on the flats and around docks...and as far as working it...try differant things till you find what they like

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I think this is a bad time to try and get good with artificials. The reports have been very skimpy of late, whether using natural or artificial bait.

My advice would be wait till the fishing is better before trying to figure out if your technique is correct or not.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I've always used adoa under a cajun thunder fishing the flats for speckled trout. Probably caught more specs this way than any other.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I use nothing but a DOA in the canal behind the house. Use a cajun thunder or just cast and slow retrieve. Bubble gum with Chartreuse DOA works great for me. I pick up a hand full at the outcast sale every year.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Have you guys tried the Gulps and compared results to using the DOA's? I've never had luck with the DOA's but do with the Gulps, that's why I ask.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I think it's pretty common for people to fish the DOA too fast. You got to remember what kind of bait you are trying to imitate...shrimp. DOA recommends a super slow retreive to try and make the shrimp look like it's crawling along the bottom with a little pop here and there to make it look like it's trying to get away from a predator. Here's a pretty good article to read - http://capmel.com/mystery_doa_lures.htm

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well in fact me and my friend were on a school of redfish in the bayou behind my house. We were using similar colors and he caught more fish with the gulp, but the doa held up better.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I agree with the slower the better. I like using big pops to get anythings caught on it off and then let it sink like a shrimp jumping out of the grass and then swimming back down. Also, a loop knot is a must to allow the DOA to sink more naturally. Most of my hits come on the sink.

Chris

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
69Viking (3/8/2010)Have you guys tried the Gulps and compared results to using the DOA's? I've never had luck with the DOA's but do with the Gulps, that's why I ask.
Personally I love Gulps, but when the trout bite is on I think I do better with the doa. I can catch, release and recast without adjusting or replacing bait. Plus it seems the pinfish don't murder the doa like they do a Gulp. When I leave the house I make sure I have both and then decide which to use based on conditions.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
GENTLE WOLF (3/8/2010)
69Viking (3/8/2010)Have you guys tried the Gulps and compared results to using the DOA's? I've never had luck with the DOA's but do with the Gulps, that's why I ask.
Personally I love Gulps, but when the trout bite is on I think I do better with the doa. I can catch, release and recast without adjusting or replacing bait. Plus it seems the pinfish don't murder the doa like they do a Gulp. When I leave the house I make sure I have both and then decide which to use based on conditions.
I hear you on the Gulps, they can be expensive and get tore up pretty quick. I too have DOA's in my tackle box, maybe I'll give them another try when I find the fish hiding somewhere around Hurlburt Field!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have found that the DOA's have been more productive at night under docks or bridge fenders basically anywhere with a good current or swift moving water.I never use a leader with them and never more than 8lb test mono,pitch it up current just outside the lights and let it run back through the lights like you see a natural shrimp do.This seems to work well for me when the specs are feeding..... Good luck !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts