Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
2,215 Posts
yes i do, all the time and if i dont, illcatch a backhand for it.. i also open the door for anybody else, regardless of who they are

·
Registered
683 Posts
Spoke with 8 women tonight from mid 30's to what I'd guess 50's and all of them said they hated being called ma'am except from small children or someone they had a problem with (like when calling a call center). Some of them said it even pisses them off more when someone keeps calling them ma'am. Sounds to me like in a lot of situations today it is considered condensating to say ma'am. So if you're being "respectful", you may be being disrespectful by calling someone something they don't like regardless of your intentions. As for me, I don't care for being called sir. I'd rather someone look me in the eye and say, yes, no or here's my story. If you think being called sir gives you respect, it sure doesn't take much to earn it.

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
fishitall (11/29/2009)Spoke with 8 women tonight from mid 30's to what I'd guess 50's and all of them said they hated being called ma'am except from small children or someone they had a problem with (like when calling a call center). Some of them said it even pisses them off more when someone keeps calling them ma'am. Sounds to me like in a lot of situations today it is considered condensating to say ma'am. So if you're being "respectful", you may be being disrespectful by calling someone something they don't like regardless of your intentions. As for me, I don't care for being called sir. I'd rather someone look me in the eye and say, yes, no or here's my story. If you think being called sir gives you respect, it sure doesn't take much to earn it.
:clap

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
i opened the door for a lady tonight and she said "thank you sir" and i replied no need to thank me,,,,thank my DAD for my up bringing...

thanks for the poll answers!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">A definite yes ma'am and yes sir; it's just being respectful. I say yes sir or yes ma'am to my subordinates at work. Only once have I been literally yelled at for saying yes ma'am toa lady. It was a waitress in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Homestead</st1:place></st1:City>, my office went out for lunch and I said yes ma'am to the waitress and she unloaded on me with both barrels. It caught me by surprise, I couldn't believe it. Oh well, didn't ruin my day.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts