Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I always use ma'am or sir. It's just the simplest way to show respect. If someone thinks I am making them feel old, I reply with "oh no, ma'am has nothing to do with age, it's a respect thing." That is usually well accepted. Just happened on the phone with a woman that works at our corporate office a few weeks ago. I always use ma'am and one day she laughed and said she felt old becuase of all the ma'ams. I told her it had nothing to do with age, and I wish she were used to being talked to with more respect. She appreciated what I had to say. In business, I say ma'am and sir to everyone I deal with. I don't think ANY of my clients or vendors have any problem with it. To argue that sir or ma'am is offensive just doesn't make sense to me. Some people might not be used to it, but to claim that it's offensive... I just don't buy it.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
who fckn cares. i personally say it cuz if i didnt growing up, i was knocked through the wall with a back fist or literally beaten. does it mean anything these days or a matter of debate, I THINK NOT

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes I say ma'am and sir and miss and mr. Born and raised with 3 sisters and southern religion

An old story...I open a door for a woman, and she says " you don't have to open the door for me BECAUSE I am a woman, I respond "I didn't, I opened it because I am a gentleman"

RTR

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Native Diver (11/27/2009) I had a guy say to me once,"stop calling me sir", I said "YES SIR"! :banghead:banghead:banghead
Funny! I like being call ma'am and raise my kids to say the same, especially when they are in trouble or know I'm serious I want to hear a yes ma'am or yes sir to their dad.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,092 Posts
skint back (11/27/2009)Yes I say ma'am and sir and miss and mr. Born and raised with 3 sisters and southern religion

An old story...I open a door for a woman, and she says " you don't have to open the door for me BECAUSE I am a woman, I respond "I didn't, I opened it because I am a gentleman"

RTR
:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Jim

·
Fishing Goddess
1,072 Posts
OMEGA (11/27/2009)
Ultralite (11/27/2009)
OMEGA (11/27/2009)who fckn cares. I THINK NOT
then why respond??
because i can. any other questions?
A lesson I learned a long time ago is just because you can doesn't mean that you should...

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
well i guess this says it all!...............

<TABLE class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 100%; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: 0px" id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=9><TBODY><TR><TD class=PanelBar_SubHeader>Poll Results</TD><TD style="WIDTH: 280px" class=PanelBar_SubHeader></TD><TD style="WIDTH: 75px" class=PanelBar_SubHeader align=middle>Votes</TD></TR><TR><TD class=TableCell_Light><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl2_lblAnswerText>yes</TD><TD class=TableCell_Light><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl2_tdPollBarGraph class=SmallTxt><TABLE id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl2_tblPollBarGraph class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> </TD><TD class=SmallTxt><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl2_lblPercentage>91.11%</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=TableCell_Light align=middle><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl2_lblAnswerVotes>41 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=TableCell_Light><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl3_lblAnswerText></TD><TD class=TableCell_Light><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=SmallTxt><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl3_lblPercentage>0%</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=TableCell_Light align=middle><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl3_lblAnswerVotes>0 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=TableCell_Light><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl4_lblAnswerText>no</TD><TD class=TableCell_Light><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl4_tdPollBarGraph class=SmallTxt><TABLE id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl4_tblPollBarGraph class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> </TD><TD class=SmallTxt><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl4_lblPercentage>8.89%</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=TableCell_Light align=middle><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl4_lblAnswerVotes>4 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_trPollOptions2Footer><TD class=TableCell_Dark><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=9 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=SmallTxt align=middle><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_lblFooterTxt1>Member Votes: 45, Anonymous Votes: 0. <SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_lblFooterTxt2>You have already voted in this poll.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
bluffman2 (11/27/2009)well i guess this says it all!...............

<TABLE class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults style="BORDER-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 100%; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=9 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=PanelBar_SubHeader>Poll Results</TD><TD class=PanelBar_SubHeader style="WIDTH: 280px"></TD><TD class=PanelBar_SubHeader style="WIDTH: 75px" align=middle>Votes</TD></TR><TR><TD class=TableCell_Light><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl2_lblAnswerText>yes</TD><TD class=TableCell_Light><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=SmallTxt id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl2_tdPollBarGraph><TABLE class=PanelBar_OuterTable id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl2_tblPollBarGraph cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> </TD><TD class=SmallTxt><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl2_lblPercentage>91.11%</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=TableCell_Light align=middle><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl2_lblAnswerVotes>41 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=TableCell_Light><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl3_lblAnswerText></TD><TD class=TableCell_Light><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=SmallTxt><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl3_lblPercentage>0%</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=TableCell_Light align=middle><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl3_lblAnswerVotes>0 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=TableCell_Light><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl4_lblAnswerText>no</TD><TD class=TableCell_Light><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=SmallTxt id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl4_tdPollBarGraph><TABLE class=PanelBar_OuterTable id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl4_tblPollBarGraph cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> </TD><TD class=SmallTxt><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl4_lblPercentage>8.89%</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=TableCell_Light align=middle><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_ctlPollResults__ctl4_lblAnswerVotes>4 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_trPollOptions2Footer><TD class=TableCell_Dark><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=9 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=SmallTxt align=middle><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_lblFooterTxt1>Member Votes: 45, Anonymous Votes: 0. <SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl0_lblFooterTxt2>You have already voted in this poll.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
doesnt say anything.548 views and 40 votes.I would rather be polite without the term maam when addressing another woman.you dont have to say maam to be polite.that to me is really how you were brought up.this came up in the past by murph when he got put in check by a bartender that he said maam to.i cannot find the thread on the old forum but i remember a very different consensus and remember the thread.Its just like religion.you cant convince everyone jesus died for you sins but that doesnt mean atheist are bad people its just the way you was raised and what you was taught.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Will....it was just a question "do YOU say yes maam"...it wasnt a post of whether or not it was politically correct....even though i was raised to say it.......i understand some people get offended by being called maam, BUT i will just take my chances and keep on saying it....

BTW the 500+ views is everyone checking back in to see what the poll number is at...i have viewed it over 20 times......so 500+ people didnt view it and not vote!

anyway..have a good night buddy....hows the Bert coming along?

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
bluffman2 (11/27/2009)Will....it was just a question "do YOU say yes maam"...it wasnt a post of whether or not it was politically correct....even though i was raised to say it.......i understand some people get offended by being called maam, BUT i will just take my chances and keep on saying it....

BTW the 500+ views is everyone checking back in to see what the poll number is at...i have viewed it over 20 times......so 500+ people didnt view it and not vote!

anyway..have a good night buddy....hows the Bert coming along?
Motor is coming out wednesday and gonna take 3 weeks to rebuild it.Gonna replace the motor mounts and repaint the engine room while its out.new cylinder liners,o rings,piston rings,gaskets,bearings having the inectors rebuilt and fuel pump rebuilt.Gonna realign the shaft also.will bne a while before anything else gets done to that motor.I have had nothing but issues with it since i got the boat from oil leaks to fuel solenoid to exaust leak and now water in the oil.This will be the last rebuild on that engine.If that engine wasnt screwed up i would have had 10 trips out so far.Hopefully everything will be copleted by the 1rst of anuarary than Im working towards the new tower before cobia season.Nothing huge just a platform over the flybridge with seat and controls.Its a work in progress but she WILL be ready for next years tourneys.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
jim t (11/27/2009)
skint back (11/27/2009)Yes I say ma'am and sir and miss and mr. Born and raised with 3 sisters and southern religion

RTR
:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Jim
That says it all....I am the same and go out of my way to do so....but I'mnot from the south....

my granddaughter gave me some heck when we were leaving a resteraunt after dinner and I waited to hold the door for a few ladys in there 20's....they never said thankyou...so she asked why I did that...I said I didn't do it for them...I did it for myself,it makes me feel good to do so....and maybe the next time they might say thankyou to the next person.It is just the way I was raised to respect others... young,old, male or female...trying to set a good example... as I would like others to do also.:clap

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Always! Once my son in law's parents came down to eat out with my family. After a while they said to him, "Why are you saying yes sir & yes maam"? I said, Because its respect here in the south! Is that a problem? They didnt understand that at all. They were from the"South west" Illinois, Somewhere.:doh

21 - 40 of 47 Posts