Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yes Sir! If you were born and raised in the south, you bet it has a place in today's society (just to bad that so many younguns today aren't raised the way we were- hell, it's a shame that so many folks, period, weren't raised that way)!!!!

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
YOu say it out of RESPECT.

I say it to folks older AND younger then I. If I don't say it to you and I don't know you then most likely you are a POS.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
corrinas2 (11/26/2009)heck i even say it to my kids.. just out of respect for them..

and no I wasnt raised in the south...
That's right Corrina. It is not a SOUTHERN THING but you EXPECT in in the south . That's for sure.

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
bluffman2 (11/26/2009)
-=Desperado=- (11/26/2009)this question was brought up on another forum mostly women.see what they had to say

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/etiquette/being-called-maam-123291-2.html[/quote]

Will 90% 0f the post on that link agrees with being called "Maam"...what am i missing?
90 percent is not accurate.here was a post i pretty much agree with.the last paragraph

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD background=/amhd_imgs/style2/g_left.gif></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE class=tborder id=post714674 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal"><A name=post714674>
</A> Nov 9, 2007, 01:21 PM </TD><TD class=thead style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal" align=right> #20 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=140 rowSpan=2><DIV id=postmenu_714674>Kay27 </DIV><DIV class=smallfont>New Member</DIV>
</DIV><DIV class=smallfont>
Join Date: Nov 2007</DIV>Posts: 6 </DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_714674><DIV id=post_message_714674>I too hate being called Ma'am, and have to agree with one of my female clients in her belief that, "it should be a curse word". Or, as I've seen else where, "Ma'am isn't just a four letter word..it's a four letter word with an apostrophe in the middle."

First off, to correct the response above, every etiquette book asserts that "Ma'am" IS the female equivalent of "Sir". Where you are mixed up is that there is no MALE equivalent of MISS.

The confusion here, is that all our lives women are addressed as "Miss". "How can I help you, Miss?" "Can I get that for you, Miss". Then women pass an Invisible Barrier, and MARRIED OR NOT, people everywhere start calling us Ma'am. We notice it, and wonder why.

People UNCONSCIOUSLY call "older" women Ma'am and "younger" women Miss. It happens all the time. I can tell you of plenty of times I've gone to the store, and a woman not more than 10 years younger than I, also "unmarried", gets addressed as Miss, while the same clerk addresses me as Ma'am. That hurts. I have also purposely taken notice, that if I fix my hair nicely, and wear makeup, and dress more sexily - I am usually NOT called Ma'am when I go shopping! You should try it!!

The solution, I suggest, is what many clerks do - just be pleasant, and polite and attentive and say, "Can I get that for you?", or "Excuse me, I can help you over here,", or "How was your dinner tonight?" Did anyone see anything wrong with any of those? I don't. But, when I get a "Can I get that for you, Ma'am" or "I can help you over here, Ma'am" etc , I just want to scream. It's just not necessary to add the Ma'am or even the Miss. I don't think any stranger has the right to make assumptions about my age or marital status.

Society is too complicated these days to assume WHO everyone is, how old they are, what address makes them comfortable, or whether or not they want to be addressed at all. We can leave the 'titles' and 'addresses' for the people we know, and leave them off for strangers.</DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Like I said Will, We call that woman a BITCH or a BUTCH. Take your pick. :usaflag

The problem with the post is the BUTCH says that we call a younger woman a MISS. NOPE............ It's called Ma'am.

Do you want to bet money that KAT eats the carpet??

Either way I would call her a ma'am unless she came off on me with that shit.

Then I would simple say "Sorry Ma'am, I didn't mean to offend you." and walk off. If She found that she had to walk me down and give me her mind then I would give her mine and it would be SOUTHERN.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,092 Posts
-=Desperado=- (11/26/2009)
bluffman2 (11/26/2009)
-=Desperado=- (11/26/2009)this question was brought up on another forum mostly women.see what they had to say

Will 90% 0f the post on that link agrees with being called "Maam"...what am i missing?
90 percent is not accurate.here was a post i pretty much agree with.the last paragraph

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD background=/amhd_imgs/style2/g_left.gif></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE id=post714674 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal" class=thead><A name=post714674>
</A> Nov 9, 2007, 01:21 PM </TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal" class=thead align=right> #20 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 rowSpan=2 width=140><DIV id=postmenu_714674>Kay27 </DIV><DIV class=smallfont>New Member</DIV>
Join Date: Nov 2007</DIV>Posts: 6 </DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></TD><TD id=td_post_714674 class=alt1><DIV id=post_message_714674>I too hate being called Ma'am, and have to agree with one of my female clients in her belief that, "it should be a curse word". Or, as I've seen else where, "Ma'am isn't just a four letter word..it's a four letter word with an apostrophe in the middle."

First off, to correct the response above, every etiquette book asserts that "Ma'am" IS the female equivalent of "Sir". Where you are mixed up is that there is no MALE equivalent of MISS.

The confusion here, is that all our lives women are addressed as "Miss". "How can I help you, Miss?" "Can I get that for you, Miss". Then women pass an Invisible Barrier, and MARRIED OR NOT, people everywhere start calling us Ma'am. We notice it, and wonder why.

People UNCONSCIOUSLY call "older" women Ma'am and "younger" women Miss. It happens all the time. I can tell you of plenty of times I've gone to the store, and a woman not more than 10 years younger than I, also "unmarried", gets addressed as Miss, while the same clerk addresses me as Ma'am. That hurts. I have also purposely taken notice, that if I fix my hair nicely, and wear makeup, and dress more sexily - I am usually NOT called Ma'am when I go shopping! You should try it!!

The solution, I suggest, is what many clerks do - just be pleasant, and polite and attentive and say, "Can I get that for you?", or "Excuse me, I can help you over here,", or "How was your dinner tonight?" Did anyone see anything wrong with any of those? I don't. But, when I get a "Can I get that for you, Ma'am" or "I can help you over here, Ma'am" etc , I just want to scream. It's just not necessary to add the Ma'am or even the Miss. I don't think any stranger has the right to make assumptions about my age or marital status.

Society is too complicated these days to assume WHO everyone is, how old they are, what address makes them comfortable, or whether or not they want to be addressed at all. We can leave the 'titles' and 'addresses' for the people we know, and leave them off for strangers.</DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Huh... "Yes sir... no sir... or yes ma'am...,no ma"am" worked forever.

Joim

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Deeplines (11/27/2009)Like I said Will, We call that woman a BITCH or a BUTCH. Take your pick. :usaflag

The problem with the post is the BUTCH says that we call a younger woman a MISS. NOPE............ It's called Ma'am.

Do you want to bet money that KAT eats the carpet??

Either way I would call her a ma'am unless she came off on me with that shit.

Then I would simple say "Sorry Ma'am, I didn't mean to offend you." and walk off. If She found that she had to walk me down and give me her mind then I would give her mine and it would be SOUTHERN.
i would never call another woman a bitch.just because a woman doesnt like to be called maam that makes her gay?am i reading this right seriously.Alot of women dont like the word maam because it makes them feel old.You dont have to say maam to be polite.I hate calling a woman miss or maam than theres that silence like wtf did you just call me.I just got sick of not knowing if i was offending them so i make it a practice to just be polite and say excuse me or whatever but never a miss or maam or madam or whatever.Times have changed and i find it offends people so i chose not to say it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
jim t (11/27/2009)
-=Desperado=- (11/26/2009)
bluffman2 (11/26/2009)

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD background=/amhd_imgs/style2/g_left.gif></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE id=post714674 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal" class=thead><A name=post714674>
</A> Nov 9, 2007, 01:21 PM </TD><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal" class=thead align=right> #20 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 rowSpan=2 width=140><DIV id=postmenu_714674>Kay27 </DIV><DIV class=smallfont>New Member</DIV>
Join Date: Nov 2007</DIV>Posts: 6 </DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></TD><TD id=td_post_714674 class=alt1><DIV id=post_message_714674>I too hate being called Ma'am, and have to agree with one of my female clients in her belief that, "it should be a curse word". Or, as I've seen else where, "Ma'am isn't just a four letter word..it's a four letter word with an apostrophe in the middle."

Huh... "Yes sir... no sir... or yes ma'am...,no ma"am" worked forever.

Joim
Very well said, Jim!

For those of you who haven't figured this whole thing out, I guess if you have that much trouble trying to figure out whether or not tocall someone "ma'am", maybe it's just safer if you don't speak to them at all.:banghead

·
Registered
168 Posts
I almost always say "yes sir" or " yes ma'am"!!! It's just in me to say it. I had a guy say to me once,"stop calling me sir", I said "YES SIR"! :banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Super Moderator
27,946 Posts
I do, my kids do.......ohhhh and we PRAY!!! Enough said in todays discouraging world....:reallycrying:banghead

·
Registered
13,329 Posts
I always do--- ask any female that has ever been on my boat, especially onmy all lady fishing trips, which I call the "Yes Ma'am Fishing Trips".

On those trips, every single question ~~~ NO matter what ~~~~ is replied towith aYes Ma'am!!!!!!

And if I upset some femalewith my way of manners, she is NO Lady !!!!!

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
i always say yes maam and yes sir, when spoken inEARNEST i have never been told that the recipient did not wish for me to give them my respect

1 - 20 of 47 Posts