Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was 5 years old. It was Butler Lake, a spring fed lake in Northern IL. I was fishing with my three older

brothers, mom & dad. The first fish I caught was a keeper rock bass, which I yanked up and got tangled in

the apple tree behind me. My dad came over to untangle everything. He wasn't too happy that I took

away from his fishing time. Of course, I was just thrilled that I caught something. I remember it just hung

there in front of my face. I hit it a couple of times with my forefinger to see if I could get it to flop around.

I've been hooked ever since.

Dplantmann

PS Two years ago I visited the exact spot and took a cutting of a water plant and put in into my

pond at home. It's cool to have something which brings back fond memories evertime I look at it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
RE: Do you remember the first time you fished, where, what you caught & who was there?

I went to Deland Florida with my Grandparents I wasn't but about 4-5 years old but remember catching blue gills left and right. That trip got me hooked on fishing and been doing it ever since.

·
Registered
227 Posts
RE: Do you remember the first time you fished, where, what you caught & who was there?

I was about 8 and fishing in the ADSFR w/ my dad and brother. I caught a King that I thought was the biggest, strongest and coolest looking thing I had ever seen. In reality it weighed about 10lbs. We threw it in the box. My big bro caught about a 40 lber and we threw it in the box. When we got back to the scales and opened the box his king had swallowed about 1/2 of mine. I was pissed, but I will never forget my dad and his friend pulling the fish apart by the tails. I was hooked that day.

Good day.

·
Registered
503 Posts

I really don't remember how old I was, but pretty young. My Dad wasn't a fisherman, but knew I wanted to try fishing. He got me a rod and some bait and fished in Lake lanier. I reeled in my pole and got all excited, it was heavy, and I just new I had a big fish. Got it to the bank, and it was a pair of blue jeans with the butt burned out of them. Been fishin' ever since, walking the creek banks, and hitting all them farm ponds back in kansas.

·
Super Moderator
5,904 Posts

I can remember riding in the middle of a small boat on a lake down near Chipley, (I think) with Daddy and my Granny. If I am not mistaken they were slash fishing for crackers and bluegills. I know for sure I been fishing myself since pre kindergarden era. Roughly 41-42 years worth...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

Bank fishing for white perch (crappie) when I was about 5. It took my little brother a little while to figure it out. He kept complaining that his cork was sinking! Good times and great memories!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Notice the pattern? Young, catch something, excitement, memories, hooked. If you have young kids or

know young kids, take them fishing. Try to go somewhere where they can have a little excitement. You

will be making memories which will last them the rest of their lives.

GO FISHING

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

I was 5-6 on summer visit to my Grandparents, Dads side, up in southern Indiana. Went with my Grandmother and caught a mess of blue gill. Came back home and she made me and my cousin clean them. Made a pretty big mess until she showed us how.

·
Registered
802 Posts

I was probably somewhere in the 4 year range but I'm not sure which happened first. One was with my Grandfather, fishing off a bridge over a pond/bayou at his house. Bream I guess. Or it could have been a pinfish with my Dad ona hand line while out skiing and cruising like we did every weekend. Not sure which happened first. The ole five foot of line wrapped around finger, gold hook and piece of bread trick works wonders with little children!!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts

Very first time ever fishing I was about 7. I wentwith my mom, grandma, brother, and cousin to a very small local pond (NC)- I couldn't tell you what it was I caught - but I remember my mom frying them up for supper that night. We were using bamboo poles with a bobber and worms.

Very first saltwater fish - I was 18. I went with my boyfriend (now my husband)and his dad 12 miles off Wrightsville Beach and put a sabiki on the bottom. I caught a freaking false albacore and it got wrapped alllll around the sabikis, but I got it to the boat. :) Fun!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

Either to old now or to young then.:letsdrink

·
Registered
941 Posts

I don't which was first. I was about 5 and I caught a Croaker near the Brooks Bridge (Fort Walton)with my Dad. My other earliest memory was fishing a pond with my Grandfather and one of his buddies and was mortified that my fish peed on me. Boats were my first love, but by the time I was 10, catching King Mackeral and Rainbow Trout, I was hooked for life.

·
Registered
90 Posts

I remember being little, musta been about 36 years ago, and my dad driving us out to Johnson's Beach.He always caught tons of whiting and pompano. I remember the pilings from a hotel or something that was never finished and not much more out there. Also, remember the guards from Ft. Pickens chasing us out a couple of times...

·
Registered
802 Posts

About 6 years old my Dad and I went to a neighbors pond down the road and caught bluegill with bobbers. man that was fun. still hasn't worn off, now I love taking my boy he's 3.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

Grew up on the Bon Secour river, started fishin with my pops caught my first bass when I was about 4.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

Not sure exactly when I caught my first fish,But growing up in Jay we had access to many ponds creeks and beaver ponds.Most of the ponds we had to sneak into,but at that age you don't worry about consequences.You see in Jay there wasn't a whole lot to do so my friends and I would fish for bass,bream or catfish wherever we could.I'm sure murphyslaw went on a few of those trips.Good ole memories,my son is 4 and he's been a couple of times and already likes it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

My 15 yr. old still likes to go out and wet a line, however he has become a savy fisherman and will only go

with me to spots he approves of. Lots of action, good scenery and not too much travel involved.

·
Praedator
10,009 Posts

It was with my dad and my grandpa on the tip of Ft. Pickens in the pass. I can't remember exactly how old I was, but I remember it being so freaking cold and complaining the whole time until that first fish was caught. It was a big sail cat. We were out there at night and I can't remember what else was caught, but I do remember the catfish and the cold.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts