Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to Destin and I'm buying a boat at the Miami Boat show. My intent is to fish solo offshore, trolling and bottom fishing. I'm looking for any advise to make thing easier for someone fishing solo.

A little about my planned boat:
I'm in search of a fuel efficient (marina fuel in Destin is $$$) 80% fishing 20% cruising with my wife boat. Something with Carolina flare, 24-27' with twin 150s that averages over 2.0 mpg.

Thanks for any advise!

·
Registered
955 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
You can do it, but be prepared!

We had a guy out of Gulf Breeze last year that was lost at sea. His boat was found off of the Mexican coast. He left on his birthday in the morning to go fish and never came back. He had a capable 30+ Boston Whaler. I don't think they ever found him.

At a minimum, I would have a wearable EPIRB, VHF radio, and some sort of auto ignition kill. Not the lanyard type, but a remote cutoff that kills the engines in the event you get pulled over board or fall over. Wearing a PFD of some sort would go without question. File your float plan and try to have a "buddy" boat to go with.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I have on a few occasions and there are plenty who do it, but I would much rather have someone on board for both safety and efficiency.

If you do go you need to file a float plan every time and be pretty specific on where you plan on going. You also need to have a handheld VHF attached to you and preferably an auto-tether that will allow you to roam freely on the boat and still activate the kill switch. Bring plenty of food, water and flares and a PLB

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I agree with what others have said, way too dangerous !!!! I hooked into 4 ft shark once just outside Destin pass and I will never do that again ! Several times in the rough surf I almost fell out as he would make a big run as a wave would hit the boat, just not worth it.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I will have to say I am thinking about doing the same this summer I would say I am very experienced offshore but still know I need to upgrade safety equipment before I do that and agree with filing out a floatplan

·
Blue man fishing Inc.
1,418 Posts
Anything is doable but in my opinion it isnt worth the risk. Make a friend and bring him with you.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First, welcome to the forum!

Best bet is to find some friends that want to go and chip in on gas (pretty easy to find great friends that also have experience and gear) http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f55/, but if you are dead set on going solo...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/WestAdvisorView?langId=-1&storeId=11151&page=High-Seas-Communication
Thanks for the welcome! I do have unlimited ice at my disposal, gear and gas money. I guess it might make more sense to only fish inshore when solo. It's on my bucket list to catch a 20# Mahi but it's not on my list to die at sea!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have lots of free time if you need some one to help you out! I even get lucky with a fish or two every now and then. :whistling:
I'll remember you. I still have your reply to a guy about how to troll off Destin saved in my notes. :thumbup:

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
I've done it. It has it's dangers. All the above mentioned safety gear is a must.
Anything can happen. My friend was out 12 miles by himself. Hooked a good size AJ on a 6/0. While bowed over, the line snapped. The rod tip recoiled and smacked him unconscious. He woke up on the deck drifting along as he wasn't anchored. He still has no idea how long he was out.

Going solo is very peaceful, but I like having at least one other person to share the experience with.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Used to go once an a while on my old boat offshore. Inshore alot. Almost got thrown off one day headed in when it was rough. Decided that day, no more.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
X2 Welcome

I do it all the time. However i am not the sharpest knife in the draw.:yes:
I enjoy the solitude. But I tend to stay in pretty tight 20 miles or so is the limit.
I used to go to pelican flats, out of Cape Canaveral quite often by myself. On a a 21 foot Marathon cuddy with a 140 Merc cruiser
Seatow or the like is a must.
Very good VHF radio.
A Float plan.
The ability to stay calm things a little hairy.

Yeah I really do enjoy fishing offshore alone.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
543 Posts
when I want to go fishing and no one else can go... I go! my wife bought me a spot and tracks me the entire time. I have all the appropriate safety equipment. I really enjoy going by myself. one of those just you and the world kind of things..

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Used to go once an a while on my old boat offshore. Inshore alot. Almost got thrown off one day headed in when it was rough. Decided that day, no more.
Yep...took me one single experience like that. Never, ever again.

I wound up with two hands on the t-top and two feet hanging off the gunwale.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I fished solo almost the whole time I had both of my boats and enjoyed the heck out of it. I started out trying to fish with someone on my boat but it was nearly impossible to find someone who just wanted to fish and shut the heck up. I would run out about 20-25 miles, find a good grass line and drift it most of the morning until I was well rested and relaxed enough to call it a day. Caught fish, had some peace and quiet and didn't have to rely on anyone else who would always be late, not have fuel money, forget to pickup bait, have to leave right away without helping clean the boat, would only call when THEY wanted something.........you get the picture. My only advise is have plenty of safety gear, make sure all the maintenance is up on the boat and always let someone know an approximate area you'll fish for the day. I looked at it like this, if it's my time to go there's not a thing I can do about it whether I'm fishing solo 25 miles offshore or sitting by my pool drinking a cold beer. My time is my time......until my time is done I enjoy what I can on my dime!! Good luck fishing!!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts