Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like we do or did? I need a head gasket replaced on the starboard side of my 5.7. Cylinder #4 has low compression and a small oil leak around the head. This motor was rebuilt feb of 2019 and we just didnt get to use it much last year due to other issues. All the hardware is in good shape its not like rust has taken over yet. its a pretty simple job, and easy to get to, you dont have to work on your belly blindfolded for this one, and when we had the floor redone last year i had the fiberglass guy give me as much room as possible in the engine compartment, its got a holley 4bl carb on it so no efi to mess with. i have a new intake on the way because it was the last un replaced part so why the hell not go ahead and put a new intake on. My last mechanic wasn't a marine mechanic but a dang good mechanic at that, and, well he fell in that shit and honestly im not interested in any part of having someone like that work on anything i have to trust my life to.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,780 Posts
It seems you are mechanically inclined enough. Just remove the intake and remove the right head. Check the head with a straight edge to ensure it's not warped, clean all metal surfaces, put on new head gasket, replace the head, torque bolts to specifications. Put on new intake gasket, torque to specifications.
* Note: I'd personally replace both head gaskets and shave both heads. At the least, I'd have the starboard head shaved before re-installing it, just because it's most likely warped, otherwise the head gasket wouldn't have failed.
Take it to a machine shop and have them both shaved or look on youtube to see how to do it yourself. I have a good sized piece of flat marble I use for truing heads. g/l

1 - 2 of 2 Posts