Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting a can call to try something different. Do they really work and how and when to use them effectively. Also how do you know the deer came to the call and not just randomly came in that direction on its by chance

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
They work great; especially in the rut. They will also work, during bow season, to pull in does.

A few years ago, I was bowhunting in Missouri. I had been in and scouted a new farm and hung a Lok-on, then left it for a few days. When I went back, there were a couple of deer bedded beside the pasture that I came in on. They ran toward my Lok-On in a creek bottom. I followed and when I got to the creek, I had to cross, the scene that unfolded, in front of me, was like nothing I had ever seen. There were deer running everywhere. At first, I thought they were running from me but soon, it became apparent that, they were running each other around and round and not paying any attention to me. The woods were completely open, all hardwood. I made it across the creek, made it to the base of my Lok-On tree and decided that I couldn't make it up without being spotted. The base of the tree was double with one half broken off just above my kneeling, head level. I put my stuff down , got an arrow on the string and started clearing out leaf litter and small sticks at the base of the tree. When that was done I kept observing and kept seeing all these deer, some does and some bucks, running around the bottom and the hill in front of me. I kept seeing a good buck up on the skyline of that hill. Finally after what seemed like fifteen minutes, this whole herd started moving off to my left, seemingly out of the area. At about the time that I was sure they were moving off for good, I hit the can about twice or three times. At that exact time, I saw this buck, from the ridge, coming straight down that hill like he was on a string. He came straight in and went under a leaning tree fifteen yards to my left and got right in front of me, with this double tree in between us, and stopped. He knew precisely where the sound had come from. I was concealed enough to draw the bow and he stepped to my right, turning his head and looking in my direction but he had stepped right into my bowsight. I shot him in the lungs at 10 yards. He was a young 135" ten point. Understand, the rut there is during bow season; here, it's going to really get going in the next week to ten days.

There is ZERO chance that he was just passing that way. The better the buck/doe ratio, the better it is going to work. I don't really believe in just blind calling but for a deer that you know is in the area, it is fantastic. Blind calling should be with rattling antlers. That said, I have brought in does with blind calling of a can. Seems it causes their protective instincts to kick in or their curiosity and they come quick, if they hear it. One thing to be aware of. When you start calling, deer know your EXACT location; so, you have to be very careful about moving around.

When I first started teaching my neice and nephew to hunt, I told them that I only had 3 rules for being on the stand: Rule One, No moving, Rule Two, Don't be moving around, Rule Three, no movement is allowed. End of lesson. It has served them well. My niece killed four with a bow her first year, one buck and three does plus three with her rifle, one a mountable ten point. She was twelve at the time.

Yeah, I would say that cans work.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Yes they work. I've watched bucks walk off and cross a creek. I hit the can call and they turned around and came back. Use it in a combination of light grunts and rattling. But DO NOT over call.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Had two nice basket 8 pts come to one on eglin and I was able to kill one of them. The time has to be right, but yeah they work...

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
One thing I learned is don't use it when they are close. I only use mine if I don't see a deer, they will come or I hear them in a thick and can't see them, or they are over 100yds out. Practice with it and conceal your movement. After it bleats, don't move because they will be staring hard at you. If I see a buck, I will unzip my jacket and put it behind it and use it. It muffles the sound some and hides the movement of my hand. Get one and use it in a sequence with some tending grunts. Dynomite!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts