Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there is a time or place that spearing practice is allowed in any pools in the area. Maybe MBT?

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
Not usually because of the damage it does to the finish on the pool when you miss.

·
Registered
632 Posts
There is no sights on a gun kinda a point and shoot. The fish are usually within 10-15 ft of you. Once you shoot the gun once or twice you get a really good idea where the shafts going to go

·
Praedator
10,021 Posts
Pierce07 (2/15/2010)There is no sights on a gun kinda a point and shoot. The fish are usually within 10-15 ft of you. Once you shoot the gun once or twice you get a really good idea where the shafts going to go
Yep, point it at the fish and pull the trigger. Just keep to close in shots at first. You will get the hang of where your shaft is going to go by where your shaft impacts the fish. The more you shoot the better you will get at longer shots. No need for practice shots. It will take one dive for you to get the hang of where it will shoot. If it's way off from where it's pointing, you have more of problem than your aim. You may be overpowering your gun etc... or other gun problem. But they are simple devices for the most part.

Just don't shoot it in the yard out of the water. The shockcord will rip that shaft right back at you. And you will not have enough time to get out of the way. Shin bones hate it when you do it. Trust me.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,197 Posts
Would YOU want to own a pool that authorized target shooting with a speargun?

Here's an idea... jump in the water, swim out till you get about 12' deep and shoot at "targets" in the soft sand. (Pick a depression and shoot at it)

Good Luck...

Jim

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I figured as much but I was hoping to get some practice with the new gun before I lost any fish. With the vis being as bad as reported the last few weeks I figured it would be worth it if I could get in the pool and practice some. Guess I'll just have to suck it up and get out to the beach.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Gulf coast divers in mobile has an indoor pool, they have targets and let people shoot as long as its not cannon. not sure if they charge, you may want to try them. I believe they have several guns you can test fire as well.

·
Praedator
10,021 Posts
Clay-Doh (2/16/2010)Paul and Telum.... he already spearfishes. Shoots lotsa salmon up there. He just got a new rife and didn't wanna waste a dive while down here on vacation dialin in.
Gotcha,

Well in that case, it's not like shooting an actual gun that you have to sight in before you go since it's new. Just go and shoot as you normally do and adjust as needed underwater. I have shot a few different guns. And none of them are different enough on the first diveto cause me to miss a 10 ft shot on a fish.

Get down and shoot a porgy or something at 10+ feet. If you hit it, you are good to go. That way, you knowyou are not going to miss that 20 lb grouper swimming by ya.:doh

·
Registered
632 Posts
Clay-Doh (2/16/2010)Paul and Telum.... he already spearfishes. Shoots lotsa salmon up there. He just got a new rife and didn't wanna waste a dive while down here on vacation dialin in.

Well then the best advice I have is just dry shoot it and get use to wrapping it. It will help once you hit the water.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts