Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to thank Fisherdad1 for making me one. I like it so much I decided to make one my self for other people to use when we go out together.

It works great and is simple to make for just a few bucks.

First step is to gather the materials. I got them at Lowes. They have pre-cut two ft sections of three inch pvc pipe. You will also need two three inch PVC floor drain covers, some PVC glue and some rope. When picking the covers insert a few into your pipe and pick two that arent too tight.

You will also need a couple tools, I used a dremel with a cut off wheel and you will need a drill. The drill can also be used instead of the dremel for cutting the slits in the tube.

First step is cut slits in the tube, the dremel made quick work of this. Before you start cutting take a visual reference of how far the drain covers go into the tube because you dont want to cut in that area.

Next drill a hole large enough for your rope to pass through on each end of the tube. The holes need to be roughly in line with each other and again we need to make sure not to drill the holes where the drain coverers will be.

Cut about a two ft piece of rope and insert it in the end of your tube and out the hole you drilled. Tie it off so it wont come back through. Insert the other end of the rope into the center of a floor drain and glue it in place with PVC glue.

Now we are going to make the cap. Cut a piece of rope a little over a foot long. Fold it in half and make a loop. Sorry I dont know what the knot is called, I just copied Fisherdad. Insert one end of the rope into the floor drain at the edge and knot it off. Do the same to the other end on the rope on the other edge of the drain. This is the "handle."

Set the cap to the side. Then take another couple feet of rope and insert it into the tube and out the other hole you drilled and knot it off just like the other rope on the end cap. Then run that rope through the middle of the floor drain and through the loop on the handle. This is so that you wont lose the cap when you take it off after its tied/clipped to your kayak.

Once the glue dries you are ready to use. You can put clips on the end of your ropes but I like to just tie it off as I am constantly moving it around.

The tube keeps everything from shrimp to cigar minnows alive. Just remember that with the larger fish that cant turn around in the tube to put them in tail first so they dont drown.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great post. thanks for sharing Jd... do you think 4" pvc will be better or is it to big.
It could be but remember the bigger it is the more drag its going to create. This is MUCH better then one of those flo-troll bait buckets as the reduced drag is where the real advantage is. Not sure how much more drag the four inch one would be over this one, worth the shot for some one interested in building both and testing them out. Im happy with the three incher. Its kept over a couple dozen cigs alive and a good sized hardtail still fits.

Only thing to watch out for is to keep it off the sand. If sand grains get in between the cap and tube it can be a PITA to open.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I used 4" pipe about 18" long so I could keep a couple of hardtails in it.

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
I'm going to have to make one of these. I have been using a regular bait bucket and just hold it between my legs and taking breaks to dunk it and get fresh water every now and then to avoid the drag.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'd imagine this could turn into a chum tube if you find a way to weight it and keep the top drain lid on but removeable.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Ive used a piece of 4 inch PVC and it worked just fine. I also zip tied some foam from the inside of an old PFD to the top of the tube so it would float behind me. That way if you fish in real skinny water the tube would not drag in the mud/sand or whatever.. I fished alot in the backwater on the east coast and the mud killed my shrimp every time.. The foam
worked perfect..

·
The Yakslayer
590 Posts
There are several versions of this on the forum going back a ways, but certainly still worth posting. Mine has a screw in cap and I have no holes through the sides except one for my rope knot. Bait doesn't die unless I pack it too full and then its usually only 1 or 2 unfortunate ones that get caught in the wrong position in the tube.

I also have 2 carabiners in my rope. One for the end when I'm towing it and another further down when I want to keep it close to the yak and clear of any lines, rudders, and turbo fins.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive used a piece of 4 inch PVC and it worked just fine. I also zip tied some foam from the inside of an old PFD to the top of the tube so it would float behind me. That way if you fish in real skinny water the tube would not drag in the mud/sand or whatever.. I fished alot in the backwater on the east coast and the mud killed my shrimp every time.. The foam
worked perfect..
These float. I usually only get sand in it when Im hitting the beach and I forget to put it in the kayak.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,274 Posts
Could you use the lighter weight drain tubes instead of the heavier pvc that you are using? Wouldn't that have a little less drag as well as weight?

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
Made one of these tonight gearing up for spring. Looks good and really easy project, figured I would give such a good idea a bump for others

·
Registered
188 Posts
Made one of these tonight gearing up for spring. Looks good and really easy project, figured I would give such a good idea a bump for others
Glad you bumped this. I just got a mariner and rigging it up this weekend. Going to make a bait tube now as well!! Thanks:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Same design different end to get bait in/out. Also highly suggest one use drain schedule PVC not schedule 40 (much too heavy).

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
im going to do some thinking/modifying to this idea in the future to make a more streamlined model. thanks for the bump tho, i needed to see a good baseline.

·
Tangle Master
3,310 Posts
I might try this. My flo.troll goes underwater when moving around. But the flotroll makes a good drift chute! I have been setting it on my bulkhead behind me when moving. Congrats on the Mariner Vickroid.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts