Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the day spearfishing on Sunday aboard the "Luff Monkey." We practicing for the Guns-n-Hoses tournament. It was a beautiful day to be out on the water and we had lots of fun. I was surprised to see fewer fishing boats than I expected, given the calm seas and open snapper season.

Tenneco Rig: We shot a 33 lb cobia, 31lb AJ and picked up some shovel nose lobsters. I also found a fresh poney tank and regulator setup that someone dropped. The gear is in good shape. The vis was about 30' at the top (80') and about 50' on the bottom (174'). There was a one knot current coming out of the East near the top of the structure. I spotted a 4' sandbar shark on the bottom. Later it startled Anna by coming within 4' of her while she was reaching in a pipe for a lobster. She poked at it a couple of times with her pole spear before it gave her some space. I suspect that spearfisherman have been "feeding" it, as it was quite bold.

Penhall Reef #1: We shot a 10 lb black snapper, two flounder, two big spadefish, and picked up 6 shovel nose lobsters and several nice shells. Vis was about 30' and with a slight current out of the East. Apparently a 2-inch octopus hitched a ride with me back to the boat. We found him scooting across the deck. Two one-inchers ended up on the boat last weekend. All made it back into the water with our help.

Bubba Gump: We shot three red snapper. There are two problem sandbar sharks on this wreck (5' & 6') that have become quite aggressive. They have obviously been scaring spearfisherman into giving up their catch, as they charged us numerous times. We kept one diver on guard duty prodding the sharks, and sent all fish up on lift bags. This wreck is not for the squeamish or inexperienced.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
good report and a nice mixed box...careful out there...hope ya'll do as good or better in the tourney...

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lionfish

Thanks! I forgot to mention that we killed a lionfish on the Penhall Reef too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts