Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
the dive savages dive club in gulf shores will be having a meeting coming up, i'll find out the date. lots good people and food

·
Registered
632 Posts
If you're in Pensacola I'd recommend swinging into MBT and meeting some of them. Great people and they know what they're doing. Plus 90% of the people are experienced spearfisherman and they're always welcoming new people.

It's where I learned what I know

·
Banned
823 Posts
if you like zero viz, ripping currents, sharks out the wazoo, and rassie screaming come on dawg be a man and shoot it in the gills, you could die, i mean dive with the Mobile Rig Divers. Oh yea i forgot one, " hey man you have 500 lbs left in that tank, you can bounce this rig, it's only a 130 feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats just the way we roll.

·
Praedator
10,186 Posts
Plenty of people to go dive with around here. I post up when I need someone to get out on my boat. Just keep an eye out. MBT should be doing another spearfishing seminar soon for the springtime. (Hint, hint guys)

But there are a bunch of good spearos on this forum. Just come out to a get together or tourney especially in the summertime. It's the best way to get to know plenty of us diversto network with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the replys.i got certified last summer only had one gulf dive it was fort pickens,the water was like mud,the current was crazy.but i had a blast.i havent been spear fishing yet,but want to bad.so ill keep my eyes on this forum,so if any of you guys need some company and dont mind a newbie going im in.had a friend say something about this thing in orange beach next month called sheephead shoot out.sounds cool.maybe ill see some of you there.thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are some good guys on this forum. I'm new to the area too, but after one post some of the guys invited me over to a little BBQ. I am going to try and make it to the meeting on the 20th too. Now that I'm here full time and hopefully getting a decent job, its time to start shooting again. Hope to see you and some of the other guys around. Good luck.

·
Registered
345 Posts
just gotta be quick, mother nature doesn't give you much warning to put trips together. keep an eye out here and meet some of the guys that have been doing it for a while. and for gods sake, when you get out there to pop your cherry, don't let your balls write a check that your ass cant tote...amberjack that are as big as you will give you the prison beating of your adult life...shoot some triggerfish,snapper etc to get warmed up.

are you nitrox certified? advanced? get em!! and get some more dives under your belt before taking your task loading to the extreme. spearfishing gets pretty hairy sometimes and if you haven't got the base level of experience down pat then you could find yourself in a spot that you don't want to be. you will eventually meet some people that make this look very simple (and it is with experience) but take babysteps at first. good luck

·
Registered
413 Posts
Rsmith (3/5/2010)Bullcrap! Just shoot the fish and see if it works out. If not, we'll talk about ya on the forum.

MRD
Oh, Jesus...we have TWO Mobile Rig Divers on one thread! Yep, you can tell the Redneck Riviera is right around the corner!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Hey Skiffing around, welcome to the forum and good luck.....I would go down to MBT and hang out and learn as much as you can from those guys and the divers cycling through the shop... Dont shoot anything you cant handle and if you arent sure...then you probably cant handle it. With the exception of cobia, the smaller and medium fish eat just as good....

Again good luck and dive safe....

P.S. Sean, for those of us who dont know......what exactly is a prison beating like?????

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea that sounds like something i need to do start out with trigger and snapper,maybe some small grouper.and no on the nitrox,but thought i would go get it.just didnt know if i needed it.kinda would like to go hit that sheephead shootout,that would give me some good bottom time.but i will be there at the meeting.hope to see some r all of you guys there.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Good plan but I would advise you to consider the Nitrox and Advanced courses as well. I am sure most will agree that nitrox takes diving to the next level, especially when task loading such as spearfishing. Nitrox leaves you feeling better and allows for more extended range diving(with limitations) than diving w/ just air. The advanced course is great because it increases your range while adding to your skills. I would recommend these courses to any diver regardless of your plan whether looking at fish or shooting them. Go talk to Jim, Fritz, or even Jerry ("badboy69" who posted)at MBT, they wont steer you wrong and they will take good care of you....

Clint

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Man this is gonna turn into another "Bama" shooters are better than Florida.(still think we are)

How bout that Guns n Hoses tourny last year...:poke

·
Registered
413 Posts
Bigg J (3/6/2010)Man this is gonna turn into another "Bama" shooters are better than Florida.(still think we are)

How bout that Guns n Hoses tourny last year...:poke
No doubt! 'Bama Boys' brought their "A" game over to the '850' for sure! However, I distinctly remember a 'MBT' T-shirt on one of the MRD crew in the photos. Glad it's warming up...let the trash talkin' begin!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
has anyone ever dove the bridge at alabama point at night i heard the flounder was satacked up in there.a man at down under dive shop,said he goes alot.just dont know about night diving.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
skiffing around (3/7/2010)has anyone ever dove the bridge at alabama point at night i heard the flounder was satacked up in there.a man at down under dive shop,said he goes alot.just dont know about night diving.
go with someone that has dove it before. you have to hit the tides right for visibility and so you wont get sucked out to the ocean. there are flounders there but make sure your bases are covered before you go out. the vis can be from a few feet to 10 or 15 feet at times. again, i can;t recommend enough to go with someone that has done it wuite a few times before. night diving can be a rush like no other. all you can see is what you light hits and always in your mind is what is following me... good luck and post a report if you go.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts