Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a thread on THT stating that a diver had a serious accident on a dive boat and the frantic captain left a diver behind in his rush to get the injured diver somewhere that he could get help. The poster said that the diver that was left behind has not been found.

Anyone hear anything about this?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
damn

·
Registered
81 Posts
Heard it going down on the radio. The lost diver call and the CG speaking to the boat bringing the diver in. It sounded like the scuba boat transferred the injured diver to a CC to get them back to shore faster and so they could return to look for the lost diver. All the chatter indicated the injured diver was non-responsive after CPR...

Various calls to the CG today for vessels taking on water and lost power. Same for yesterday. The CG has had a VERY busy weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
We heard this going down too but did not hear the beginning of it. We were not aware that the two incidents were from the same vessel. Terrible if true. We heard older victim with no pulse or breathing and they were an hour run to the pass. Sad day for all involved.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read an update to the post on THT that did say these were separate incidents. They're still awful, but at least they weren't connected.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Capt. Andy Ross with Nihui Dive Charters picked up a guy yesterday. They didn't post detail on FB but I assumed he had been separated from his charter.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How is leaving a diver, many miles from shore not criminal?
There was more detail on THT after I posted the original. These were separate incidents.

If I remember correctly, the diver was going down with his dive buddy when he realized that his BC was still inflated. He stopped to correct it. When he started back down he'd lost contact with his dive buddy but kept going down.

The water was murky so he lost the rope and the wreck. He looked around for a little while and came up. When he came up, he was a ways away from the boat and couldn't get back because of the current. The dive boat captain called for help after he didn't come back up.

The dive boat didn't leave him until the Coast Guard was on the scene - if I remember correctly. The diver was found about 8 hours later (7:30 PM) by another boat that correctly estimated drift rate and location and started searching in that area.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
The diver was found about 8 hours later (7:30 PM) by another boat that correctly estimated drift rate and location and started searching in that area.
Saved by smart math. Good to know a good end. Sorry to hear about the other diver that didn't make it. The sea is not to be taken lightly by us land-based species.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts