Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Demon Fish
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the median distance you go off the Navarre beach when targeting kings/spanish? I usually vary it from the tip of the pier and troll out about 1-1 1/2 mile. The reason I ask is because I haven't been having too much luck. I'm trolling cigar minnows on a duster and cast a gotcha. After four or five trips, I've only hooked one spanish (and a remora). Do I need to head out further, or is that distance good?

Also, how far out to target Snapper? Do you paddle to a known hole, or head out a certain distance and drop a carolina rig?

With the weather not cooperating on my off days, I need to get a good strategy down for the next trip. Thanks in advance!

·
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
1,503 Posts
I troll from the second sand bar to 70ft and then back, repeat til I'm tired. I've never not caught a king off Navarre Beach during king season. I troll bigger baits than the normal though(ballyhoo), but I also troll little Yozuri 3D Crystal minnows too.
Try slowing down your troll.

·
Demon Fish
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I troll from the second sand bar to 70ft and then back, repeat til I'm tired. I've never not caught a king off Navarre Beach during king season. I troll bigger baits than the normal though(ballyhoo), but I also troll little Yozuri 3D Crystal minnows too.
Try slowing down your troll.
When you're trolling ballyhoo, do you use a trolling weight? how are you rigging them?

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Keep trolling and you will eventually catch a king. For bottom fish, you have to find structure or natural bottom. No structure=no reef fish

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
To be honest, I havnt really tried for kings at all this year. Ive been pulling my "mahi candy" which I caught all of my mahi on last year but very few kings. Still, I think they are a bit thin this year and I believe its because of the lack of bait too. Bait has been hard for me as well. Ive only been able to get cigs a few times this year.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Last year they were thick tho, i agree...almost instantly even after rigging a dead popcigle. They are fun to catch. After a while it gets old and you wanna catch and release them only. keep the small ones for friends and family sometimes.

·
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
1,503 Posts
When you're trolling ballyhoo, do you use a trolling weight? how are you rigging them?
I switch it up. Weighed on one rod, non-weighted on other. Just cut off the beak and put the front hook through the lip...check if it trolls straight.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Piers are not catching them as of now. Kinda weird . Usually it's bite on now. Hear around pass bouy's some are being caught. Its a depth thing. Find where they are in depth, Stay in that depth.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Me and my buddies caught a few off pcola a few weeks ago. Smokers, 39.5" and 41". We coundnt find em either till we found 50 ft of water. Then it was on! Cigs with dusters, good luck.

·
Registered
335 Posts
me and Evan trolled cigs at Johnson Beach and then later at Navarre all weekend. We were about end of pier length. No hits but did see a 300lb Manta Ray completley sky out of the water.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Me and my buddies caught a few off pcola a few weeks ago. Smokers, 39.5" and 41". We coundnt find em either till we found 50 ft of water. Then it was on! Cigs with dusters, good luck.
Yea we caught 2 (double header) trolling between spots snapper fishing Friday in pcola. Between 3 barges and the bridge rubble. Both were 40in twins. Was around 60'.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Only hook up Ive had on a King was a little under a half mile from the beach.

Yea we caught 2 (double header) trolling between spots snapper fishing Friday in pcola. Between 3 barges and the bridge rubble. Both were 40in twins. Was around 60'.
How was the surf Friday?

I was in Destin for the week and Wed n Thurs was too rough for me to launch. I left Friday and figured it would be nice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts