Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man its been a rough 3 days.seems like I been chasin ghost.get some good deer on camera and set up the next afternoon and nothing.not see shit.i think I need to go back to the basics.anyone have a good article on bowhunting because im stumped on wtf happened.i havnt even seen a doe.i mean I had deer on an every day basis on 4 different spots and as soon as I set up not a peep.nada.zilch.one spot I had 4 bucks! In one afternoon.sat it the very next afternoon and nothing.
I need a good read to see what the hell im doing wrong

·
Registered
415 Posts
I hunted in Clio and it was like that...had pics of 25+ different bucks preseason. Had awesome food plots, no pressure. Hunted opening afternoon, had nice 8 come out while I was climbing the tree, had him in bow range for hours, passed, never saw another deer. I think some places are very pressure sensitive, no human presence all year, then all of a sudden, human scent everywhere. Good luck, keep at it.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
You my friend are discovering why its called hunting and not shooting. You might be pushing them when you enter the area your trying to hunt...there is a whole bunch of variables to hunting. Stick to an area and if its not close to people be quiet and as scent free as possible. And keep trying,you only have to be lucky once,they have to be lucky all the time.

·
Super Moderator
28,141 Posts
Instead of hunting food sources, hunt the trails to the sources...many deer will stage until after dark before dinner time....

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats just the thing.In the past 3 weeks i was going in and we planted plots,limed em,put out a camera checked cameras.all this and the deer never bated an eye.jUST BUSINESS as usual.Matter a fact i just put a new stand in there 2 weeks ago.Deer never paid it no mind.Still was getting daily pics.As soon as i go in there with a bow.THERE GONE.......

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Instead of hunting food sources, hunt the trails to the sources...many deer will stage until after dark before dinner time....
I think thats whats happening but why there doing it now it does not make sense.I had daytime pic after daytime pic of 2 bucks on this one spot.I mean there were there more during day than night.So im sitting there getting eat up by noseums.I see the 7 point come in to my right.Stands on the corner of the plot behind some bushesband looks all stupid.Than he turned around and rolled out at a fast pace.The wind was blowing towards me from him so i know he could not have smelled me.I think he might have seen me move.HOW important is sitting still as opposed to scent?I could not help myself cause the noseums were horrible.
Im also thinking this is there bedding area or they are real close to where im hunting.

·
Registered
14,664 Posts
I think your fine and it will come together. Anybody Hunting on neighboring property that's scent could be spooking your deer?? I was always told that a deer needed two alerts on senses except the nose. If they see you they need to hear you to alert, but if they smell you, no other confirmation needed - adios! Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I heard an old saying one time I believe holds some truth. They might hear you 3 times and they might see you twice but the are only going to smell you once.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
first pic is the spot where i had the 2 bucks hanging out on a daily basis.planted in BFO and they love themn theres also a huge oak tree overhanging full of acorns about to drop any day..Put the stand back a little bit so its concealed.They are coming in to the right of the pic.around the corner of some thick stuff.I could see the seven thru the trees when he came out.he hauled ass back from where he came.
The second pic is a nice plot and theres a row of bamboo along a creek so i set the stand on the other side.the deer are coming from the right side also.Theres a real deep area full of hardwood growth there comnig from.
I may not even rifle hunt at all this year just to get better at bow hunting to figure this shit out.

·
Registered
14,664 Posts
Sometimes new places are hard to figure. You may think they are coming in up wind but they may be making a large loop and smelling you from a bedding area or way before they reach your plot. Take a climber and setup in a place or side of a plot that you didn't plan on. Don't get impatient. My guess is you have it right and it just hasn't happened yet. Also that big bright moon can't be helping any of you guys out!! Stick with it and LEARN! Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sometimes new places are hard to figure. You may think they are coming in up wind but they may be making a large loop and smelling you from a bedding area or way before they reach your plot. Don't get impatient. Stick with it and LEARN!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
i think your right

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think thats whats happening but why there doing it now it does not make sense.I had daytime pic after daytime pic of 2 bucks on this one spot.I mean there were there more during day than night.So im sitting there getting eat up by noseums.I see the 7 point come in to my right.Stands on the corner of the plot behind some bushesband looks all stupid.Than he turned around and rolled out at a fast pace.The wind was blowing towards me from him so i know he could not have smelled me.I think he might have seen me move.HOW important is sitting still as opposed to scent?I could not help myself cause the noseums were horrible.
Im also thinking this is there bedding area or they are real close to where im hunting.
I look at it like this you would never see a squirrel in a tree if they stayed still or moved real slow but when they make quick movement they stick out like a sore thumb. so i say u can move but just move in slow motion with breaks in between movement. seems to work for me just stay after it they will come

1 - 20 of 49 Posts