Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are tired of using preseasoned batter off the shelf, try seasoning some cracker meal. What I like about it is that it lets the fish do all the talking and doesn’t overpower it with too much seasoning. I think speckled trout is underrated as table fare and does well when lightly seasoned. I do redfish and snapper like this too.

see how I like to do this here: Using cracker meal to fry speckled trout

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
i love cracker meal. i use 1 sleeve of ritz, 1 cup corn meal, and 1 cup ap flour. season with toni's.(about 1/4 cup) soak in buttermilk for about an hour. paper bag with breading, throw in filets, shake and cook til golden brown. you're on point, my friend.
edit: i forget to give krazy jane a shoutout because it contains no msg. i hate that shit.
jack

·
Registered
558 Posts
i love cracker meal. i use 1 sleeve of ritz, 1 cup corn meal, and 1 cup ap flour. season with toni's.(about 1/4 cup) soak in buttermilk for about an hour. paper bag with breading, throw in filets, shake and cook til golden brown. you're on point, my friend.
edit: i forget to give krazy jane a shoutout because it contains no msg. i hate that shit.
jack
Never tried cooking in the bag. Hmmmmmm.
Don’t worry, I know what you meant.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
going o try Zataran's next after a milk soak . it is the smell that i do not like and have not tried mustard or crackers yet

Reactions: CurDog

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
a long-time pet peeve of mine is to mix and match the words batter and breading. there is a difference.
jack

·
Registered
534 Posts
I use one of these when I have a lot of fish or shrimp to batter
I have two very similar to those (doesn't have the black separator). They had something close to that but I don't use them. Works great and no mess. Before I got them I used paper bags. Works OK till the bag gets wet. Fish Fry for batter with a buttermilk soak before.

EDIT: breading LOL

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
The video was very simple for anyone wanting to learn fish fry. It looks similar to how my grandmother cooked fish but instead of Jane's seasoning, she used a little salt and pepper. The fish did look great and I bet delicious. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,626 Posts
Watched a chief on the Red Holland show roll a trout fillet in seasoned flour, dip it in egg and put it directly into a pan with some butter in it.
Tried it, 'twas good and really different with cooked egg on the outside.
Now I'm hungry...

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
a long-time pet peeve of mine is to mix and match the words batter and breading. there is a difference.
jack
I just roll them in corn meal .......

Reactions: Lyin Too

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
dry corn meal is breading. if you mix in milk or liquid, it's batter.
jack

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
jack
but they can be mixed if you dip it in the batter before the breading ..... see i fixed your peeve

Reactions: jack2

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
but they can be mixed if you dip it in the batter before the breading ..... see i fixed your peeve
haha
so would that be battering the breading or breading the batter? lol
jack

Reactions: Deja vu

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Microwave, butter and lightly dusted favorite seasoning , also been adding diced sweet onion
Grew up on deep fried , the way we do it now ..... quit grilling most to..... except pompano
Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Dish

Food Tableware Fork Ingredient Plate

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
haha
so would that be battering the breading or breading the batter? lol
jack
ether way but if company shows up you do it twice and add another cup of water to the soup

Reactions: jack2

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you are tired of using preseasoned batter off the shelf, try seasoning some cracker meal. What I like about it is that it lets the fish do all the talking and doesn’t overpower it with too much seasoning. I think speckled trout is underrated as table fare and does well when lightly seasoned. I do redfish and snapper like this too.

see how I like to do this here: Using cracker meal to fry speckled trout
How is Speckled Trout underrated? Most fishermen I know love it. Are you talking about non fisherman/consumers underrating it? I mean it ain’t no mangrove or red fish, but it’s damn fine eating…so much so that my wife gives me the wink every time I bring some home, and she usually doesn’t even eat fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
884 Posts
Had a friend who didn’t like eating speckled trout but liked to catch them. Worked for me as I got most of the ones he caught

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts