Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making a comparison that will help me with a decision on which boat to choose. What is the price of diesel fuel, and gasoline on at the local gas pumps ON THE WATER, marinas ect. Thanks:thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
Your question is a great one; yet not so simple to answer. There are lots of websites that list the prices of 'land based' fuel cost but not as many that list 'non-ethanol' gasoline costs. I'm sure somebody can correct me on this.

Right now, lowest prices for fuels in Pensacola (land based) is $2.09 gasoline (NOT non-ethanol) and $2.63 for diesel.

On the water, Sandestin (Destin, FL) is charging $3.96 for diesel and 4.74 for non-ethanol gasoline.

But, just to demonstrate how variable this can be, marina fuel in Bradenton (south of Tampa Bay) is $2.59 for diesel and 3.45 for non-ethanol gasoline.

If you intend to use a lot of fuel, you can make arrangements for fuel, at a lower cost, based on an escalation/de-escalation schedule and based on a usage and rebate schedule.

So, on the surface, marina diesel should be relatively cheaper than non-ethanol gas.

I would not use this as the only criteria for selection. If you are intending to buy a boat with inboard, I wouldn't be inclined to use gasoline for obvious safety reasons. If you are going outboard, you are sort of locked in unless you have unlimited funds for engines but I'm assuming that's not the case because of your query.

What kind, size of boat are you thinking about? What do you want to do with it? If you are running distances beyond your tanks capacity, I would lean toward diesel. I'm not a big fan of humping gasoline in cans and fuel bladders but it is done everyday. I also don't favor gasoline engines in enclosed spaces. Fires at sea being my number ONE fear.

My response has probably generated more questions than answers but it will give you some starting point.

I'm prejudiced. I would go diesel.

·
Super Moderator
20,021 Posts
If you are comparing the prices of diesel and gas at marinas on what boat to buy you may need to step back and take a big look at things. If something that minimal can determine what you you should buy then you probably don't need to buy it

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks. My prior boat was diesel, and that's my preference. I ran across a a very clean boat that was gasoline and I was really tempted....

·
Seafox 237 twin outboards
5,433 Posts
Making a comparison that will help me with a decision on which boat to choose. What is the price of diesel fuel, and gasoline on at the local gas pumps ON THE WATER, marinas ect. Thanks:thumbsup:
Bad timing on your question because of current gas prices that won't last forever. Gas is expensive. Dont get a boat you can't afford to use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts