Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Caught a pretty good variety, mostly bottom fishing. Chumming black snapper was tough, the current was running pretty hard. Tons of little dolphin out there but most were too small to fool with. No tuna this week, darn it. Caught and released a ton of 19" red grouper, the only keeper we got was just a head when he made it to the top. We got sharked way too many times.

Attachments

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hell yeah, great haul. So I have a terrible time trying to target black snapper as it seems impossible to get past the triggerfish and red snapper. I've done ok getting them on artificial reefs with live shrimp but it's probably only 1 per every 20 or so other critters. You have a technique you mind sharing?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Triggerfish? I thought they were endangered! Some spots hold more triggers than others. We've got places where fishing for anything but triggers is a waste of time. Heck, they'll hold an 8oz lead and big bait close to the surface while they pac man it into oblivion. Dealing with red snapper is another problem that is hard to overcome if they're stacked on your spot.
Chumming and freelining a small chunk into the chum line is my favorite way to catch the blacks. Most good structure holds fish but chumming on the surface seems to work better in 80' or less for us. In deeper water, clipping a heavy lead (I use a 4 pounder) on your chum bag, sending it down at the bow of the boat, tying it on your anchor line (so I don't forget it and wind it up in the prop) and fishing in the stern with long 20 or 30 pound fluoro leaders and as light a lead as it takes to hold bottom works pretty good too. At night they' seem like a different species and become fairly easy.

·
Work Hard, Fish Harder...
135 Posts
Caught a pretty good variety, mostly bottom fishing. Chumming black snapper was tough, the current was running pretty hard. Tons of little dolphin out there but most were too small to fool with. No tuna this week, darn it. Caught and released a ton of 19" red grouper, the only keeper we got was just a head when he made it to the top. We got sharkerd way too many times.

Wow! That’s what I am taking about. Congratulations man!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts