Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a new rod/reel last night. Hoping it will work well for either a bait rig or slinging some lures in the surf. Rod has a regular long handle, not like the one in the picture. Tell me whatcha think??

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,672 Posts
Those reels are garbage. If you get 5 uses out of it in saltwater I'll be impressed. You can get them direct from China for like $15.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those reels are garbage. If you get 5 uses out of it in saltwater I'll be impressed. You can get them direct from China for like $15.
Yeah, found a lot of mixed reviews but figure for the price it was worth a shot. Kinda like buying tools at Harbor Freight.

·
Super Moderator
19,672 Posts
I'm not a Penn guy at all but you can get a lot better real for just a little more money. Hell even a lower end Shimano will be lightyears better quality than that garbage.

·
Super Moderator
19,672 Posts
I just don't believe in spending my money on something that I know will fail. I work too hard for it , I'll buy something that will last.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed. Buy once cry once is my normal motto. That's why all my bass fishing set ups are shimano on Allstar/StCroix/G.Loomis. I'm still learning this surf and salt water stuff. I just don't have any spinners that long except the couple I bought at Wally World over the last couple of years and they are way too heavy to try to fish a lure on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at the rod specs, too light and your butt will be too short to put in a rod holder.

Yeah the handle in the pick is the wrong one. Took a little extra research to figure that one out since no, it wouldn't hold in a sand spike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Endangered Species
144 Posts
At least you'll get to see if you like surf fishing and almost any gear can catch a fish, be sure to rinse it in fresh water after every use & make sure you keep it lubed up. I can tell you now that surf fishing can be addictive; if you get the bug you can always upgrade. Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At least you'll get to see if you like surf fishing and almost any gear can catch a fish, be sure to rinse it in fresh water after every use & make sure you keep it lubed up. I can tell you now that surf fishing can be addictive; if you get the bug you can always upgrade. Good luck!

Yeah I got hooked hard last year. Being in TN makes it a long distance relationship though.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Yeah I got hooked hard last year. Being in TN makes it a long distance relationship though.

A tourist from Tennessee pier fished with us a few days in Panama City, got three Ambassaduers smoked, plus broke one rod, went bsck to Tennessee, sold his house and business and moved down to PC Beach.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts