Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped fishing Diawa after I had some crappy BG reels a few years back. After talking to the guys at Emerald Coast Bait/Tackle I decided to try the new Saltiest MQ 3000 for inshore. The reel won best spinning reel at ICAST 2021 so why not throw $350+ at one right?

Well after a month of having it the handle shaft completely snapped! The drag knob up top loosens automatically as well.

Long story short I can’t exchange it here locally, customer service sucks worst than the Bama performance this week, an I can’t just order and handle assembly from Diawa. So I’ll have to wait 4-6 weeks to have it returned just for them to screw a new handle on it.

Anyone else have Diawa issues?

I have it spoiled with 15lb and catch trout and reds. Not over fishing this thing at all.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The lack of parts for daiwa feels is very frustrating. I'm not sure why they won't make parts available. It seams to hurt their brand.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Stick with Shimano. Maybe a little pricier but the quality is much better….IMO
I have a few 3000 and 4000 series reels that I have been fishing for 15 years plus, with little or no issues. Yes they get used very frequently.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Got it sitting on my work bench, deciding between smashing it with a hammer or taking it apart. Mainly there as a reminder of why I use Penn and Shimano

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Cool. The only problem I've had with either of my BGs was a bent handle that I accidentally kicked in the gunnel rod holder(can't get a replacement). That was my fault. Otherwise, they've been fine. I don't have any brand loyalty though, it's all Chinese.

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
Cool. The only problem I've had with either of my BGs was a bent handle that I accidentally kicked in the gunnel rod holder(can't get a replacement). That was my fault. Otherwise, they've been fine. I don't have any brand loyalty though, it's all Chinese.
My Chinese crap is better than your Chinese crap

·
Bearded Brotula
14,205 Posts
Shimano for spinners, Penn for big conventional. Except for them silver Penns.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,948 Posts
I ordered a new pinion gear for my Lexa 400HD (my primary tarpon reel last season, shredded the pinion gear towards the beginning of this season) in the middle of June & they told me last month that the ETA for my new gear is the end of this coming January. I know parts are scarce right now, but that seems ridiculous.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Stick with Shimano. Maybe a little pricier but the quality is much better
(y)

I do have 2 Diawia's They are Bull 1000 electric's.

I have not bought any Reels in decades. The TLD 25 has had rework maintenance once.
As to spinning reels. Shimano Baitrunners is all I have. 350's, 650's 3500's, 6500's & 6500 B's Never been in shops.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I own two BG reels...a 3500 and a 6500...both have been working reliably for the past two years. I caught a 75 and 95lb tuna on the 6500 and it handled it like a beast. I also own the Tanacom 1000 and like it so far.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Well the only diawas I have are 2 tanacom 1000s just got one of them back from diawa first trip out level wind breaks on it.... if it wasn't for such a good trip I would be extremely mad but guess I will just box it up again and send it off

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Well the only diawas I have are 2 tanacom 1000s just got one of them back from diawa first trip out level wind breaks on it.... if it wasn't for such a good trip I would be extremely mad but guess I will just box it up again and send it off
I have three of them. Guess I have been lucky 4 years old never had any problem multiple big sharks wrapped in chicken rigs have been drug in. Every time I think well this is the end of this one but they always have held up Tile fish from a 1000 all day they get hot but still work

·
Registered
174 Posts
I ordered a new pinion gear for my Lexa 400HD (my primary tarpon reel last season, shredded the pinion gear towards the beginning of this season) in the middle of June & they told me last month that the ETA for my new gear is the end of this coming January. I know parts are scarce right now, but that seems ridiculous.
Give the Tackle Trap a call. They are located near Huntsville and sell and service a lot of Daiwa gear. Might be able to get you what you need to get that reel back in service.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts