Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am from Missouri and usually fish a few weeks a year in Florida. I have been researching reels and have decided to get a Diawa BG but I would like some input on what size. I fish mostly from a kayak but I also surf fish and will do some reef fishing this year. what size Diawa BG would you suggest. I will fish for anything from trout to shark with this reel. Any suggestions on rods to go with it would be appreciated.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
Here is my take on it. I used a Shimano Spheros 4000 for light inshore and offshore for a long long time. Just bought a yak the first of December and the weight of the 4000 kicks my butt by the end of the day. Shimano 4000 is the same as Daiwa 3000. So trying to do all those things is unreasonable with one reel. It can be done but not very effective for two out of the three situations you mentioned. If you go light for kayaking you will be under gunned for surf and offshore. Go heavy for surf and offshore and you will suffer greatly in the yak. The choice is yours but I had to go even lighter than the Daiwa 3000 for yaking.

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,080 Posts
The 3000 BG is big for a 3000 sized reel. I just got one and its great. Check the line capacity that you would need then decide.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts