Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to try some jigging so I bought me a rod and reel and some jigs. Been waiting for the weather to break to so I could give it a try. </DIV>Weather looked good for yesterday so we decided to give it a try. Crew of 4 left out of Shalimar Yacht Basin around 7:30 headed for Destin Pass. Got to pass and was a little chop out but bearable was able to run S.E. about 20 mph. 1st stop was 20 miles S.E. of pass at spot we have fished and caught A.J.'s but only was able to jig up some nice ARS.</DIV></DIV>2nd stop 25 miles S.E. was able to get into the A.J's. Put 3 A.J's 32"-36" in the cooler. Caught several nice Scamps. Moved on to 3rd stop under size A.J's but nice Scamp. Moved on to one our reefs and it was loaded with some nice keeper Triggers between 16" and 18". Kept 6 just enough for dinner today. Decided to start heading in and stopped by our 2nd stop of the day to see if we could get 1 more A.J. and with in 5 minutes was hooked up with our last A.J. of the day. Back at dock by 3:30 ready to clean fish. Total take home for the day 4- A.J.'s 6-Triggers.</DIV></DIV>I'm hooked on jigging now. Never would I have thought I would be able to land 3 keeper reef donkeys by myself in one day. A jigging rod and reel makes a big difference when jigging.The A.J.'s wasn't as hard to fight as it was with my conventional rod and reel.</DIV></DIV>What a great time it was to be back out on the water.</DIV></DIV>Thanks David aka Pass Time for lure recommendation.</DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV>Debbie</DIV></DIV></DIV>
</DIV>MANY THANKS TO MY CAPTAIN FOR PUTTING ME ON FISH.</DIV>

· Jiggin Finatic
8,629 Posts
Glad you had a blast.

Jigging is where it is at, That is almost all I do now is jig jig jig.

· Registered
804 Posts
Great report, great pics. You were seriously bowed up for sure. With all the fish out there it just doesn't make any sense to take any bait other than squid for the triggers. And you don't really need to take squid. Just cut some bellies out of the amberjacks and you are good to go.

· Jiggin Finatic
8,629 Posts
Just use a gold assist hook and you will catch a limit of triggers on jig.

· Registered
542 Posts
Wow! Looks like ya'll had a great time. There is just something about that hard strike when your jigging that will make a fisherman out of anyone. Bammm!! and it's on. Love it, love it, love it. We went today as well and will post a report later...too tired right now. Hope to see ya'll on the water one day sson.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.