Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
What makes more sense, bouncing around running mach snot boat to boat offshore OR sitting inside the pass and checking fishing vessels as THEY RETURN FROM FISHING. Come on guys. If you were in charge of fishery regulation and had a certain budget to spend enforcing, would you run around offshore boat to boat burning fuel at 3 plus dollars per gallon or would you sit and check anglers at the pinch point.That whole grey boat 10 miles offshore burning fifteen plus gallons per hourrunning from boat to boat never really made sense to me, not to mention the boardingwith seas safety situation. If the anglers were fish and I was trying to catch them I know what I would do. Give them a break, show them your catch, be respectful and appreciate they are trying to enforce our fishery laws.

·
Registered
95 Posts
flyliner (4/13/2010)What makes more sense, bouncing around running mach snot boat to boat offshore OR sitting inside the pass and checking fishing vessels as THEY RETURN FROM FISHING. Come on guys. If you were in charge of fishery regulation and had a certain budget to spend enforcing, would you run around offshore boat to boat burning fuel at 3 plus dollars per gallon or would you sit and check anglers at the pinch point.That whole grey boat 10 miles offshore burning fifteen plus gallons per hourrunning from boat to boat never really made sense to me, not to mention the boardingwith seas safety situation. If the anglers were fish and I was trying to catch them I know what I would do. Give them a break, show them your catch, be respectful and appreciate they are trying to enforce our fishery laws.
I understand their strategy, but don't agree with it. If I'm running the speed limit down the Interstate and obeying the law, then I don't expect to be stopped. The same rules apply for the water. Imagine if you were getting pulled over by a city cop almost everytime you went to the store, just to see whats going on...making sure you wearing your seat belt, no drinking and driving, drivers license and registration are up to date, maybe a quick search through the truck. It would get to the point that you hated going to the store. They gotta back off and give us some space! How about a little trust?

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
Hook (4/13/2010)From what I noticed in the past years they need to check some Charter boats !!!!
My two boats got checked 17 times last season. 9 for the Bollweevil and 8 for the Fairwater II. By the end of the summer we knew all of there names there familys names and even a dog or two. They usually just waited at Zekes and got all of the 6 hour boats around lunch timedidnt see much of them after 5pm, I have no idea where they went to late in the afternoon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds like a fun/easy job, Just not so good the the average fisherman

I bet for them, its like who can find the most violations/hidden compartments filled with illegal fish

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: black">I get stopped quite a bit in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Pensacola</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Pass</st1:placeType></st1:place> and usually they just ask how the fishing was and if I caught any. If I did they ask to see it and I?ll hold up the fish and no problem we?re both on our way. I have no problem with this. A few years ago I was offshore fishing at night when a Coast Guard cutter went by me with his lights out but I could see by moon light as he lowered a zodiac off the ship. The zodiac sped to me with no lights and then hit a spot light on me right as got next to me. Choppy seas as they ordered me and my partner to the other side of the boat as they boarded. Complete search of the boat, check of all safety gear to include checking exp dates of the flares. Then they radioed back all our personal info to the cutter over the radio in the clear. This was one instance I didn?t appreciate, but it?s not the norm. Overall I believe they?re respectful and just doing their job.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
nb&twil (4/12/2010)who wants your money? are you saying the officer that makes a case for someone keeping illegal fish gets paid more? i kinda doubt that's what happens.

why in the world are people offended by being stopped and checked by fwc? if you're not doing anything illegal, what in the world are you worried about?! if you've got something to hide, then i guess i could see where you'd be upset. as far as i'm concerned, i wish they'd check EVERY boat. game regulations are extremely important and need to be strictly enforced.

man... i was watching a movie with my wife, now i got all irritated.
The problem is that we all work long hours, some harder than others, so we can go do what we want to, which is fishing.

Then we have to give up some precious time just so these guys can assure themselves we are not doing anything illegal.

By the time I get checked, It is usually a 15 to 20 minute affair. That is time I could have been enjoying myself, instead of being the victim of an unreasonable search.

I also agree that they pick and choose who to pursue. I have NEVER seen FWC or the Coast Guard stop a jetski, and that is someone that NEEDS to be stopped and harrassed a little bit. They are usually BUI, or speeding through a no-wake, or failing to follow rules of the water, such as overtaking other boats improperly.

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
I imagine the same guys complaining about getting stopped and checked by FWC have made the complaints about bad data being used to assess the catches to set season lengths and bag limits. So now we see them being proactive and trying to collect the scientific hard data to take the guess work out of the catch totals to put more hard data into the equation. Let them do their job and just have fun fishing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yet another benefit of kayak fishing.:) Since I just park and launch from any beach, I don't need to deal with the dangerous conditions in the pass, and I haven't been checked by the Coast guard ever out in the Gulf.

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,076 Posts
Last Saturday, I was privileged to be stopped inside the Destin pass by the FWC. He ran over to a local boater, didn't stop them.
Then he stopped me. I took my boat out of gear, the officer pulled along my port side. All went well until his boat banged into mine for the second time. I informed him that I didn't appreciate his boat hitting mine, even though it was an older boat. No apology, he just kept on with his inspection.
IMHO, when I'm stopped by any law enforcement on the water, he/she is responsible for my boat until he/she releases me. If they are unable to safely approach my boat, they should follow me to a safe dock for an inspection.
Sea-r-cy

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well I just got back home from a weekend in Destin. Cruised the pass and around Crab Island all weekend. No stops this time. Got back to Joe's Bayou Friday evening to put the boat on the trailer and guess who was standing at the dock? You got it the FWC officer. Checked my lifejackets and that was it. Seems like a good plan to me. No gas wasted chasing boats around and no dangerous inspections in a rough/busy pass. He was polite and very nice. I much rather be checked there than in the pass.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Destin? I always get stopped.

Last Saturday (10 Apr), they stopped us and asked what we had caught. Told them several endangered snapper and a spanish, which I held up. The MP at the back asked if I would hand over the spanish and I motioned I would throw it to him; he nodded yes so I did...SPLASH it went in - "Sorry Man". The MP at the front gave me this dirty look as if I had planned to throw it in - the guys laughed. He then stated that next time I should leave the fish in place so he could inspect. WHATEVER! He needs to tell his boys first....

We handed over our licenses and just laughed at the whole thing. I told them the fish was 14" but I could tell Deputy Fife had his doubts.

We couldn't help but keep laughing, and of course afterwards the guys asked me if I meant to throw it in. LOOK - I'm just a klutz, ok?

LOL!</p>

21 - 33 of 33 Posts