Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could someone please tell the fwc to stop the weekend harassment of every non commercial boat entering the pass.

I guess to enter the pass we need to all meet and circle the sea buoy and enter at the same time.

this might cause their little TSA wanta-beheads to explode</DIV>

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
It only gets better. In the summer they will meet you where you are offshore and then check you when you come in also.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Don?t feel bad the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Pensacola</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Pass</st1:placeType></st1:place> ain?t a whole lot better. Then we get the Coast Guard involved and it just gets better.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
If you don't want to get pulled over by them hide the fishing poles when you go through there! I've only been to the pass once this year, actually the Destin Harbor after fishing inshore in the morning and I made the mistake of not laying my poles down and sure enough the FWC boat passed two recreational boats in front of me and then turned around to check me the fishing boat out. He was nice about it, asked to see the fish and if I had a license and then sent me on without even verifying the license.

I've been to Harry T's in the Harbor a couple times recently upin the second floor bar where you can look out over the pass and you should seehow crazy it is. They race back and forth across the pass checking every boat they can that has fishing poles on display but they let mostif not all of the boats that don't have fishingpoles displayed pass through without getting harassed! I had a bowrider a while back and when it was brand new I didn't have the registrationon it, theCoasties passed within 20 yards of me only to pass me the recreational boat with no registration on it to pull up the fishing boat following me withfishing poles visible. I guess they're making sure you aren't sneaking in any of those endagered Red Snapper :banghead

·
Registered
12 Posts
Know what you mean. coming in last year had a guest that refused to take his poles out of the rod holders. first time i've been pulled over in 20 years. Got to say the officer was polite and actually helped us on some fish identification.

welcome to the destin bridge/crab island area.

fwc stops fishermen while ignoring recreational boats. saw 2 fwc last year running back and forth tagging as many mom and pop fishing boats as they could. looked like a shuttle service.one would pickup a boat coming in while the other one was heading back to the pass to stage another ambush.

sherrif's department hauls butt through the no wake zone to tell the big boob chick in the jetski to slow down in the no wake zone.

coast guard patrolling the area and doing drills. not a bad thing. haven't seen them stop many fishing boats.

destin fire department doing laps around crab island. Hmmmmn. wonder what they are looking at.

way overkill around the bridge.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Whats the problem? They are doing their jobs. On our last trip to the rigs, we were stopped by the coast guard 20 plus miles off shore! There was cutter, and a small inflatable, running around out there. The checked us out, came onboard checked all around, gave us the nice little "we have been inspected" paper and off we went.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
The officers at that pass are bad. Way worse than the Pensacola pass. We were trolling for spanish last year and they ran over our spread cutting 1 of our lines. I was even trying to reel in before they could hit them yelling hold on and they blazed right over then knowing I was trolling. They did not even egknowlege the fact that line was everywhere. It was 2 guys on a center console with twins. I have not gone back to fish destin since. They guys at the Pensacola pass are nice and respect others which is their jobs not being dicks b/c they have power.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Last Summer, me and the family rented a condo in Destin for a week, way back in the easternmost section of Destin Harbor. I don't recall ever takingmy fishing poles out of the rocket launchers / rod holders the entire trip (even though I probably only got to fish twice)......I think we went out in the boat (Crab Island, Holiday Island, cruising around all over to restaurants, etc.) everyday; and come to think of it.......never got stopped / checked by either CC or FWC. Just luck I guess !!!

But, I swear.....everytime I'm out in my boat around 3 mile bridge or Bayou Texar.....I get checked at least one time....if not more often......never fails !!

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Bill Me (4/12/2010)It is what they are paid to do. Usually very polite and fast so does not really seem like a big deal.
I think we all understand it's what they get paid to do but when they cut lines off and profile strictly fishing boats that's not right. The drunk in front of me driving a recreational boat gets a pass because the law is too focused on my fishing poles, not right. How about all the Waverunners going through the no wake zone at 20-30 mph. If they are going to pull people up they should be more random about it and not focus so much on the fishing boats. Yes I understand they want to check our catch but I shouldn't be able to sit and watch them for 2-3 hours from Harry T's and see them pull over nothing but fishing boats while passing up a buch of recreational boats, that's B.S.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I really don't mind...as a matter of fact when we come in I just head straight for them anymore...I have nothing to hide. They ask me how the fishin was and I tell them what we are catching and what we kept. They ask me if they can see it and I say that ya'll are welcome on my boat anytime. Sometimes they look and sometimes they dont. I feel like this...if they are catching the fishermen that are not abiding by the rules then thats good for all of us. Anyone who is illegally taking fish is stealing it from the rest of us. It is funny though...one time a FWC boat ran up on us at 70 miles an hour 22 miles out. It was like Andy Griffith and Barney Fife man. They acted as though they had just busted the "motherload of all red snapper poachers". They asked if we were catching anything and we told them we had caught at least a hundred or so snappers. The skinny one then asked if he could board the boat and look and I pointed him in the direction of my fish boxes where he found nothing...I didn't say we kept any of them! They left after telling us to have a nice day. Those two always wave at us now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
They want your money! That's all it is...money, money, money. Just because you have a rod in the rod holder, your guilty? They wanna check everybody hoping to find something to fine you for. I can't stand Marine Patrol.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
who wants your money? are you saying the officer that makes a case for someone keeping illegal fish gets paid more? i kinda doubt that's what happens.

why in the world are people offended by being stopped and checked by fwc? if you're not doing anything illegal, what in the world are you worried about?! if you've got something to hide, then i guess i could see where you'd be upset. as far as i'm concerned, i wish they'd check EVERY boat. game regulations are extremely important and need to be strictly enforced.

man... i was watching a movie with my wife, now i got all irritated.

·
Registered
95 Posts
All government agencies want your money...its how they survive. I don't wanna be pulled over by anybody unless im doing something wrong. In the U.S., the 4th Amendment to the Constitution prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures. They aren't suppose to stop you for the heck of it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have to say I agree with most on here. They do harass the fisherman IMO. They allow the rented pontoons and jet skis to fly through the no wake zone. I was coming through the pass last year and saw them coming my way. I put it in neutral and floated while they approached at mach 3. The FWC boat hit the top cap of my Boat and put a black streak about three foot long down the side of it. Needless to say I was pissed. They are a little overzealous. I have been stopped twice in one day and it would have been three but he realized he checked me two hours earlier and turned. I really hate going out fishing on Saturdays due to the idiots and traffic in the pass.

One thing that may help as well is get the Coast Guard to inspect your boat and give you the inspection sticker. Glad I got a DC this year. Taking all the rods down and cruise in with the Bimini top up.:letsparty

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Pass Time (4/12/2010)I really don't mind...as a matter of fact when we come in I just head straight for them anymore...quote]

+1

I drive right at them and throw my bumpers over the side. Most of the time they just drive off now because they are use to seeing my boat.

I don't have any experience in Destin though. All of our guys over here are real nice.

·
Registered
541 Posts
P-cola_Native (4/13/2010)
Pass Time (4/12/2010)I really don't mind...as a matter of fact when we come in I just head straight for them anymore...quote]

+1

<U>I drive right at them and throw my bumpers over the side.</U> Most of the time they just drive off now because they are use to seeing my boat.

I don't have any experience in Destin though. All of our guys over here are real nice.

Hahahaha...I will have to try that one P-Cola

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Seems that it would make sense that FWC would target fishing boats and ignore the non-fishing boats.

And that the Coast Guard and Sheriff's boats would target the others or both.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I think the $ thing is right. They would make a ton short termby stopping every boat that leaves the sand bar but in the long run it would hurt b/c less people would be going out there to get smashed so there would be less tax $ coming in from businesses renting the boats. So they mess with us b/c a $100 ticket won't keep most from fishing like a $1400 BUI would keep them from renting pontoon boats would and drinking 100 yards from where they are stopping us.......It is there job and i'm all for what they are paid to do but that group of officers seem to be peckers. My dad was a marine patrol officer in the 80'sand he was never like that to other people.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts