Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thursday night, made a last minute trip for a couple hours to White Point/Midbay bridge and met a friend to see what we could fish up. Nothing to be found on the flats, and the water is cooling off there pretty quick. Spent 30+ minutes trying to cast net some bait. There wasn't much in the flats. With some fresh bait I paddled around the drops going toward the bridge and also cruised around the bridge looking for any signs of life on the fish finder. There are some decent size fish on the bridge pylons, but whatever they are they didn't want cut greenbacks, live greenbacks or gold spoons. I'm thinking they were sheepshead. Didn't see any signs of reds, which is weird, so I kept drifting over the drop/slope from the flats.

I wasn't seeing much activity on the fish finder and was killing time with a gold spoon, when my FF lights up like Christmas and I'm thinking to myself "Bull reds! Fun!" and I start jigging my gold spoon straight down. After a few twitches I get solid pressure but no run. I start trying to haul it in and the fish finally makes some short runs while hugging the bottom, a nice size fish, but I knew it wasn't a red. It ended up being a 27" black drum. Using artificials, live bait caught in the cast net, cut bait, and that was the only fish I hooked up with, not even any hardheads *knock on wood*.

Today I met up with another PFF member for some fishing in the Gulf off Destin. Bait was heavily present right at the 15-20' area even drifting with the strong winds we had from the NW, I never had an issue where I was waiting for the sabiki to start shaking. A nice feeling for once. We hooked up some duster rigs and trolled against the wind making very little headway. Landed a total of 5 kings between the two of us. All small, but keepers (some barely) with one free to swim another day. After limiting on kings, buddy headed back to shore for the day and I pushed out to some public numbers. Landed a tiny AJ, what would've been a keeper red snapper during season, and a 16" flounder. I wasn't expecting to catch the flounder on a live cigar minnow a mile and a half out, but it works for me. First time I've caught one. (I finished eating half of it for lunch, pretty good, but I need to try one of these stuffed recipes.). Got broken off a couple times with a long length of abrasion on my line, figured it was sharks so I headed to shore and called it a day.

Also, the remoras are still out in force. We did see some fish busting the top water here and there but definitely didn't look big enough to be BFT or mahi, I was thinking it was maybe some kind of jack.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Is a black drum that big still good to eat?
I've heard no, from most people, because of worms. However, a park ranger at one of the state parks was telling me he loves the big ones because they cook up so well, and that the "worms" most people see are actually fat deposits. After tossing every other black drum I've ever caught back, I decided to keep this one. The meat's in the freezer, but it was the same consistency, texture, firmness, and color as a nice filet of redfish, but had a bit more ribs to cut around. I didn't see a single worm, and even so, I'm not squeamish about those in my trout so it wouldn't have been an issue anyway. I did think there would be more meat on the filets though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts