Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After fishing yesterday with GigaBite and getting outfished (Skunked) I had to give it another try. Got out at 7:30 in Niceville...fog was so thick you could only see about 50'. I got out the compass and proceeded across the bay. I tracked SE till i hit land. I was off track about a half mile...not too bad for my first attempt at "blind" driving. Got to the bridge at 8:45...1 hour longer than the normal trip across the bay. The construction crew was still working on the catwalk making unbelievable noise....cant wait till thier done. Found a nice hole at 39' deep with lots of structure. Air temp was 65 with the water surface temp at 56, Light wind with about 2 hours left of outgoing tide. Fished on the bottom with fresh shrimp and caught 9 Black Drum...released 4 at 27" and kept 5 from 14" to 27". Also caught 3 Reds and released a 11lb and a 12lb and kept one at 27". Only broke off 3 times...not bad for those who know the breakoffs that you get there.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sweet Finz!!! I haven't caughta black drum in awhile, then again, I don't fish for them much either. Yeah, it was pretty foggy out this morning. It was spooky going through it huh? Glad you bowed up. Will a jetski trailer work for my 12 footer? I guess I could slide the wench foward as much as possible. Start getting those fish cleaned!!! Later.

Deadeye

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well just got done cleaning them...sadly to say the2 biggest Black Drum and the Red wasfull of worms. Think ill just start keeping the smallest legal so i dont feel like a fish murderer.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Funny you said that, "the two biggest black drum were full of worms." I thought they looked too fat, bloated. Black drum have a fathead with a tapering, slimbody, not much meat huh.That red fillet out nice though, nice thick slab.

Deadeye

·
Registered
73 Posts
:bowdownThats a good haul you got there FINZ Thats sucks about the worms---Do they look different then the ones you find in specks? Well, at least you got some black drum in the freezer now,they should fry up nice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
deadeyedave (1/26/2009)Funny you said that, "the two biggest black drum were full of worms." I thought they looked too fat, bloated. Black drum have a fathead with a tapering, slimbody, not much meat huh.That red fillet out nice though, nice thick slab.

Deadeye
Black drum have plenty of meat onthemDeadeye, you may need to purchase a better fillet knife or give yours a good sharpening:poke......When it comes to tablefair I'll choose black drum over Red Drum anyday.... :hungry Once you go black you never go back:blush:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GiG_A_BitE (1/26/2009) Do they look different then the ones you find in specks?
They were tan/pinkish and some of them were noticable on the outside of the fish.... I just did'nt look before they went in the cooler. I'm ready for the Flounder to come back...worm free! :letsdrink

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
roofordie (1/27/2009)Did you fry em up, worms and all??
I cant eat a fish that i know had/has worms. I wont even eat restaraunt fish because i worked in a couple as a kid and used to pulll the worms from Amberjacks. The thought of it ruines my appetite.

·
Registered
377 Posts
GiG_A_BitE (1/26/2009)
deadeyedave (1/26/2009)Funny you said that, "the two biggest black drum were full of worms." I thought they looked too fat, bloated. Black drum have a fathead with a tapering, slimbody, not much meat huh.That red fillet out nice though, nice thick slab.

Deadeye
Black drum have plenty of meat onthemDeadeye, you may need to purchase a better fillet knife or give yours a good sharpening:poke......When it comes to tablefair I'll choose black drum over Red Drum anyday.... :hungry Once you go black you never go back:blush:
True, black drum havedecent meat, and I do have an excellent fillet knife, which does need sharping by the way. But, from my past experience with them, as well as what I was told by my mentor, I am sticking to my story. As for going black and never going back, I wouldn't know. I'm still working on that, hahaha!!!

Deadeye

1 - 12 of 12 Posts