Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy Allen and I headed out from Destin and put in around the Ozark. Water looked good, but no action. Moved a little SW toward the squiggles and saw some scattered weeds and a good temperature break. Got a knock down right away, but that was it. Moved down to the squiggles. Watwer looked good, great day, but no fish or weed lines. Headed back toward the Nipple and on the way ran accross some whales. Very cool. We stuck around and watched them for a while. Pictures are not great but what a great experience.

Wished them good luck and suggested they stay east away from the oil. Hope these are sights we will have the opportunity to see again in the future.

Moved on and saw some bait on a temperature break and put the lines back in. BAM, this big bull wacks the Islander Ballyhoo combo (sorry for the crummy picture at the dock but he was not cooperating on the boat so we had to let him cool off a bit).

Some peanuts showed up while fighting the bull and we managed a few of them on light spin tackle. That was fun, until one of them knocked the glasses off my head in 700 feet of water! The rest of the day was fishing by braille for me. Thankfully my copilot was able to tell me how the baits looked in the water and to drive the boat so I did not run it into a condo on the beach.

Picked up the troll again and immediately knocked down by a small cow. Trolled a little more with no more takers so picked up and strated back toward the edge. Found a nice weedline and put in there. No takers on the weed line, but ran accross this thing and picked up a few more off it.

We are guessing it is drifting in the current and broadcasting its location to assist in tracking currents and presumably the likely movement of the oil spill. That is idle speculation so if you know what it is, please post it up.

All in all a great day. Can't wait to do it again.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Thanks for the post and pictures. We seen I think ,was the same whalelast wednesday. At the time we were just SE of the 131. Nice dolphin. Gene

1 - 2 of 2 Posts