Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Launched from Henderson in the afternoon. Winds picked up and it got a bit choppy, didn't get soaked, but got pushed almost a mile further east than I intended. Hooked up with 2 mahi for sure, probably a third but can't be sure. Landed one 27" fork, and one king about the same and couple dink Spanish. Narrowly avoided a disaster when the mahi decided to not only get tangled in the second king rig I had out, but ate the freaking cig on it. Quickly cut the line and was able to land him a couple minutes later with two rigs stuck in his gullet. I was on my way in and didn't have time to dunk him and catch his friends. Bait was hard to find (at least around 1-2pm when I launched). All the hits I had were on frozen cigs. Had mahi hit both green duster unweighted king rig and weighted pink duster king rig. King also took the pink. All the hits were a little over a quarter mile offshore about 40' depth. Despite the gaff in the picture he came aboard unscathed.

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,069 Posts
Excellent! Were you near the usual area? I need to get you out before RS weekends close!

·
Super Moderator
28,621 Posts
Awesome mess of grilling goods!!! Way ta get it done!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Excellent! Were you near the usual area? I need to get you out before RS weekends close!
Was going to try but it was too windy to set up on the structure. Made a few drifts, had a few baits stolen and the wind started really kicking my ass and realized I needed to head back. So, I was nowhere that far out when the mahi hit. Pulled two keeper ARS and a small cobia up from *near* that spot last weekend, and 3 undersized ARS weekend before. A work buddy who was out spear fishing said visibility was complete garbage yesterday, guessing that's why I wasn't getting many hits near the modules.

I'm always down for a trip. Don't expect me to have mahi magic though. Wish I could slay 'em like these other yakkers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts