Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the proper procedure forcertifyinghomemade reefs and deploying them into the gulf. I do a lot of concrete work on the side and was wondering if I could use the excess to start making my own reefs. Can anyone help me better understand the best way to go about this? Thanks.

Also, I've got a 21' Hydra sport for sale under "boats forum" check it out. Link

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Take anything that is environment safe, go at night and dont tell anyone. Dont tell anyone you are going to deploy and dont give anyone the numbers. Take a little at a time and drop it all at the same place.

A forum member used to deploy reefs but made the mistake of telling someone they were going one night and they snitched on them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These days with the regulations the way they are, I wish there was a better way than at night. I was thinking about pouring concrete in five gallon buckets and attaching 20' pieces of rope to a anembeddedeye hook. At the end of the other end of rope I was going to attach a floatingbuoythat would send the rope 20' up into the watercolumn. I thought this would make for a pretty awesome reef, but I want to know if it's legal.

I understand that the rope will probably get all tanged up, but as long as the buoies work, I'll have a simple reef covering a large area.

·
Registered
408 Posts
That would be illegal in Alabama. The way the regs work you almost have to have some sort of work boat to deploy the kind of things they will permit. Don't know the exact wt. but 450lbs+ is what they are looking for.

Its just not worth tearing up your boat to do it.

Good Luck.

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,254 Posts
Buckets full of concrete will work. Stick a piece of 1" or so pvc through the bucket before pouring in the concrete. Use steel cable through the hole. Use 3 or more buckets for enough weight. Add an old 20# propane tank at the top of the cable, you have a nice FAD (fish attracting device).

I would deploy as many as I could at one time. Anchor up before deploying so they will be close together. Make sure the top of the tanks are at least 20' below the surface. The last thing you want is to tangle up with a boat's props. :nonono

Legal? NO. Often done? yes. You can get cable from any steel tower erector. PM me if you need a bit, I have lots.

Sea-r-cy

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've made 15 or so legal reefs. Look in the reefs and wrecks section of the site for the rules. I can probably answer most questions about tje process in FL because I have been through it enough times.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the comments. I was looking to run rebar through the buckets before I poured the concrete in, and then take them over to a friend of mine and have him Line-X the whole thing to avoid corrosion.

I'll check out the reefs discussion board for more info on the rules and regulations. Maybe I'll make a few of these things are run them by the proper agencies. I'd hate to get my license and boat taken from me for not taking the proper actions.

Nice comment on the weight! What would be the point of building a reef if the first hurricane changes it's location. Maybe I can place some foam in the buckets so that the concrete would be in the shape of apyramidweight. This might secure them in the sand a little better. The spider rebar arms would help as well.

Also thanks for the offer on cable and the suggestion about a propane tank. Both great thoughts. If I move forward on this whole process I might look you up.

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
http://www.myescambia.com/Bureaus/DevelopmentServices/documents/LAARSPolicyandProcedures3July2007_000.pdf

This form should help answer any questions that people are having concerning the deployment ofartificialreefs. The short of it, pay someone else to do it for you, or do it yourself at night.

The overall weight in this document states that a reef has to weigh more than 150 lbs. That's not too bad to carry on a personal boat. I guess it gives the night dumpers a standard weight to go by.

Never make something or someone a priority that sees you as an option!!

Thanks to all. Go fishing.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
So we can change an old rancher's predator control sayin' "SSS" to "Ship, Shove and shut up" ? I am one who has no issue with building my own FADs. I used to love to slink around the keys in my skiff finding the remains of old cars and such placed 30-40 or more years ago for lobsters and fish.

My favorite memory of one was a car of the late 30's or forties and all that remained was the X frame, front <span style="text-decoration: underline;">axle and third member... No sea life was obvious at first sight but a few shorts lived in the frame tube via rusted holes.

I just imagine the catches pulled off this car a mile from shore.

Brent

1 - 9 of 9 Posts