Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaving NAS P'cola today at about we saw a couple yearling and a couple doe's out and about in broad daylight just inside the fence on the north side of the road from Sherman Cove to the back gate ( I, ME, jim t, NON hunter,spotted them and had to point them out to Dave Woodley!!!)

jim t... "Are those deer?"

Dave... "where, where?..."

Second time...

jim t "Look, 2 more..."

Dave... " I saw 'em first... I just didn't tell you..."

shedevil:shedevil:poke:poke

These deer feel NO pressure on NAS except I think by very controlled hunts to cull the herd inside the gate. Those hunts are all by NAS personnel. I've NEVER seen deer along the fence line there before. I've been driving that road for 16 years.

They were 2 groups of two, a half mile apart not within sight of each other...

So, do deer KNOW?

I used to work at an "out field" in Jacksonville (a runway and a control tower, nothing more). The turkey were EVERYWHERE and would ignore cars during the off season, yet all but invisible during the season in aNON-HUNTING area.

Jim

·
Registered
179 Posts
Im sure they do but it isnt over until 30 min after sunset tomorrow. As for the deer you saw todaythe sun and moon are in very good places for deer movement in the afternoon. On field and stream they rate each hour of the day best score is 50 and today was high 40s from 4pm until 6pm

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
i see tons of deer in that area. normally in the mornings but ive seen them at all times of the day. i used to drive back in the woods alot when we were doin the mosquito spraying on base and there are a ton of them out there. one afternoon driving around i counted 57! in fact, a couple weeks back i saw the same 2 does feeding on the powerlines running near the museum every day for about 2 weeks. next time you get a chance, walk down the nature trail that runs to trout point and count the number of deer tracks you see. youll be really surprised..

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
The Deer season in Florida doesn't close (for muzzleloaders) until Feb 28th. The deer where I hunt must still know it's open, cause I'm sure not seeing em lately. Only seen 1 deer in the last week or more.

Ed

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Doesnt matter what season it is you cant hunt there unless you get some kind of special permit. Cant bring a gun or ammunition on base.:nonono The deer problem is compounded by the 7' fence around it. maybe a full grown buck could jump it but I dought a doe could. The deer should be relocated, not killed unless their donating the meat.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
King Crab (2/21/2010)Doesnt matter what season it is you cant hunt there unless you get some kind of special permit. Cant bring a gun or ammunition on base.:nonono The deer problem is compounded by the 7' fence around it. maybe a full grown buck could jump it but I dought a doe could. The deer should be relocated, not killed unless their donating the meat.
there is no special permit. there is a "deer depredation program". and theyONLY do this when the deer herd gets out of hand to the point that they are continuously causing a problem by gettin on the runway. the program in years past has consisted of a couple different outfits of on base personnell only but recently has been contracted out to a qualified local guy(who shall remain nameless). the deer that are killed are either buried on site or taken to the zoo. relocating a deer is very difficult due to how suseptible they are to death by stress.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I know it's probably coincidence but after spending a few days looking for a black bear to shoot my first season in AK I was skunked. Literally, the day after the last day of the season a nice sized bear took a crap in my driveway in front of me.

·
Your mom's a
6,788 Posts
AKCoastie (2/21/2010)I know it's probably coincidence but after spending a few days looking for a black bear to shoot my first season in AK I was skunked. Literally, the day after the last day of the season a nice sized bear took a crap in my driveway in front of me.

That's awesome.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
ScullsMcNasty (2/21/2010)
King Crab (2/21/2010)Doesnt matter what season it is you cant hunt there unless you get some kind of special permit. Cant bring a gun or ammunition on base.:nonono The deer problem is compounded by the 7' fence around it. maybe a full grown buck could jump it but I dought a doe could. The deer should be relocated, not killed unless their donating the meat.
there is no special permit. there is a "deer depredation program". and theyONLY do this when the deer herd gets out of hand to the point that they are continuously causing a problem by gettin on the runway. the program in years past has consisted of a couple different outfits of on base personnell only but recently has been contracted out to a qualified local guy(who shall remain nameless). the deer that are killed are either buried on site or taken to the zoo. relocating a deer is very difficult due to how suseptible they are to death by stress.
My unlce is retiered from the navy (still work on PNAS)and explained this to me and I couldn't believe they just waist all the meat like that. Oh well, hopefully one day they will allow a hunt or something.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
P-cola_Native (2/21/2010)
ScullsMcNasty (2/21/2010)
My unlce is retiered from the navy (still work on PNAS)and explained this to me and I couldn't believe they just waist all the meat like that. Oh well, hopefully one day they will allow a hunt or something.
You'd think a controlled hunt for the handicapped like they do at Eglin would be a good idea. Certainly the could plan for it and close the field on a Saturday during the season.

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts