Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for the yearly post...sorry. I searched former posts but didn't find what I was looking for.

I will be hunting just north of Molino and live in Breeze. Looking for a deer processor that I can just drop off a whole deer(not skinned out or field dressed) and pick up ground, summer sausage, etc a few days later.

Where I hunt in Georgia, I am never more than 20 min away from a deer cooler that does the above. Most of them only charge $75 to $100. Having some trouble locating one in the Pensacola area. Price is not really a sticking point, within reason.

I know how to process a deer, just no longer want to "have" to do it if I don't want to.

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
615 Posts
No offense, but good luck with that. Gonna at least have to skin it and get it quartered and on ice. Then to a processor. Best of luck to you this season.

·
Super Moderator
20,364 Posts
Dropping off a whole deer and wanting meat back in a few days? Sorry but you are looking for a unicorn. Most of the better places can take weeks to get your deer back and that'd quartered and on ice. The Butcher Shoppe the fastest turn around time that I know of but it has to be quartered.

·
Registered
13,449 Posts
I don't know any local place that will gut and skin your deer for you. And expect to pay more than $75-$100 for the processing.

·
Registered
11,130 Posts
Hmm. I may need to get in the processing business! Surely somebody takes whole deer? I know I have seen pricing for just such services. Maybe oaks? Seems like 40 or 50 to skin and prep, then the processing charge. Burger and ground sausage were 1 or less a lb and ss was 2.50-3.50 lb i am just throwing out what I remember. I have taken one batch to the processor in 25 years. Laat year took 50lbs of meat. Had snack sticks made. Was not impressed. Will never waste my deer meat on that again!

Just reminded me, I need to grab a pound to take for lunch today. Happy Hunting my friends!!

·
Registered
5,012 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
There's Lee's in Milton

6 Bros in FWB

I believe there's one on hwy 95A in Molino too--IIRC he does taxidermy work as well (maybe Vanderpools)

The best I've found is Oakes in Chumuckla (north of Pace). Their meat has the best flavor and their prices are the best I've found. 850-995-0404. I think they do the full processing, but I'm not sure. I always cut steaks off mine (vacuum seal them) and put all the trim meat in freezer bags until the end of the season and then go drop it all together.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's Lee's in Milton

6 Bros in FWB

I believe there's one on hwy 95A in Molino too--IIRC he does taxidermy work as well (maybe Vanderpools)

The best I've found is Oakes in Chumuckla (north of Pace). Their meat has the best flavor and their prices are the best I've found. 850-995-0404. I think they do the full processing, but I'm not sure. I always cut steaks off mine (vacuum seal them) and put all the trim meat in freezer bags until the end of the season and then go drop it all together.

Thank you. I'll give these folks a ring and reply on this thread. Maybe I've just been spoiled in Georgia, but it sure is great being able to drop off the whole deer.

·
Super Moderator
20,364 Posts
Lee's and pretty sure 6 Brothers don't dress your deer and Vandepols is out of the processing business. Not sure about Oakes but have never heard of anyone saying they do. You're better off quartering it out yourself. Only about a 30min job from hanging to cleaning up.

·
Super Moderator
29,197 Posts
I wish I was close to ya....I'd dang sure clean your deer fer 50-75 bucks! Not sure anyone in town does that.

·
Praedator
10,174 Posts
Very common in the Piedmont of Georgia as there are many deer coolers in the area. It's fantastic!
Yep and when I was in SC both processors that I used did it! I dropped the deer off and they hooked it to the winch attached to the ceiling and had the skin off in 20 seconds. Then had it quartered in another 3-5 min.

It was only an extra $15 for them to skin and quarter it out for me. So it was worth every penny! It was not till I moved back here did I realize that not all processors are the same!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Very common in the Piedmont of Georgia as there are many deer coolers in the area. It's fantastic!
They are all over south Georgia. Where I hunted outside of Americus, it was $75 to skin, quarter, steak and cube. That was 10 years ago, but still... It was worthy of a youtube video to watch them skin and quarter.

No luck here though. All here want it skinned and quartered. I am hooked on Cajun specialty meats. Its expensive but worth every penny (I have yeti's and a green egg tho). My whole family loves it, and some aren't a fan of deer meat.

I was not impressed with Oakes nor the butcher shoppe. Both lacked flavor. The butcher shoppe has the quickest turn around. Be prepared for over a month at Cajun Specialty.

·
Registered
812 Posts
You make that SS yourself? Care to share your technique?

Hmm. I may need to get in the processing business! Surely somebody takes whole deer? I know I have seen pricing for just such services. Maybe oaks? Seems like 40 or 50 to skin and prep, then the processing charge. Burger and ground sausage were 1 or less a lb and ss was 2.50-3.50 lb i am just throwing out what I remember. I have taken one batch to the processor in 25 years. Laat year took 50lbs of meat. Had snack sticks made. Was not impressed. Will never waste my deer meat on that again!

Just reminded me, I need to grab a pound to take for lunch today. Happy Hunting my friends!!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ive used Vanderpols in Cantonment for a few years. Drop off a whole deer and depending on his workload, back in a week or two. Great product as well. I usually get some sausage, burger, roasts, cube steak, and leave the back straps whole

·
Registered
504 Posts
never ever heard of any deer hunter not field dressing their deer.

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f48/processing-fees-462610/?highlight=processors
Florida is the first place I have hunted that does not have walk in cooler deer processors. I have hunted in Nebraska, Arizona, Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana and now Alabama. All had a processor within 20 mins of my lease, that would gut, skin and hang a deer for you before processing it... all for a fee of course. Arkansas processor preferred the hides on in his cooler so as not to deal with hair on all the meat.

However, in my experience (not a professional by a long shot) if you do not remove the innards from a downed deer (or hog) before they go into the first stage of rigor, it can cause the meat to smell and taste a little gamey or worse.

I prefer my wild game meat to hang for 7 days before it is processed. May not be any scientific proof but my grandparents swore by the 7-10 curing process prior to butchering any of their live stock and game.

That said, on those long weeks hunting when I don't want to drive to the closest processor (rather get back to the stand), quartering or deboning and putting it on ice is my practice.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
I have used many different processors in my 50+ years of deer hunting and have culled all but one - Taylor's Deer Processing in Montgomery. I know that's not an option for you panhandle hunters, but I will list my reasons for using them exclusively.

1) I get MY deer back. I take proper care in the field of my deer, and don't want a bag of meat taken from someone's deer that hung all weekend in camp in hot weather.

2) They hang deer for 10 -14 days in their cooler to properly age the meat. This is a "controlled rot" that breaks down the fibers in the meat that tenderizes it, and also removes the "gamey" taste and smell. Ever heard of Aged Beef? Same process.

3) They hang the deer with skin on - to keep the meat from drying out.

4) They know how to properly package the meat. Burger is WEIGHED so I get uniform packaging, and all the air is squeezed out so I still have a quality product after a year in the freezer.

5) No blood on the outside of the freezer paper. Makes my wife go off like a bomb.

6) Pricing. You don't pay a flat rate like some processors - you pay by the weight of your deer.

All of the above made my kids go from "Eww!" to asking for deer meat for supper.

Reactions: Payatot

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Maybe it is a southern states thing to not gut your own deer.

In some camps/circles you would earn an undesirable label if you did not do your own gutting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is the Well Done Sausage place in Bruce off county road 3280. Never used them, but they are walk in cooler style. Not sure if they will skin...

·
Registered
11,130 Posts
Buckwild, yes sir, been making my own for 3 years now. I make my own patty sausage, summer sausage, Bratwurst, burger, and bacon burger. Wife and kids dont like suasgae links, so I just do lb packages.

I would love to have a walk in cooler to hang mine from. If I kill one in the evening and temps will be 40ish or below, I guy and leave hang over nighy. But then qurter them up and keep covered with ice and the drain wide open for 7-14 days.

I will see if I can dig up the old recipe Buckwild. But its seasoning in a package, then add a few extras, like fresh jalapeños and a high melt point cheese, cheddar or Monterey Jack

1 - 20 of 24 Posts