Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question I post on another forum for bird dog owners. A majority of the people on that board say that they won't go bird hunting during deer season because the deer hunters are crazy and will shoot their dogs. I have never had any problems with another hunter and most people I know hunt might hunt deer and also ducks, or other birds. What is all your experience do you not think the two different groups can hunt on the same property? Do you deer hunters not like quail hunters? Do we scare the deer or do we cause them to move, maybe to your stand?

·
Registered
128 Posts
i hunt blackwater and the national forest just across the line and i have never had a problem with a bird hunters. everytime i see one i stop and talk to them and try to put them on some birds. they will usually mention where theyhave jumped a buck. but my brotherhad a guy park beside his truck and walk 2 dogs right under him. they had words and nearly came to blows at the truck. common sence and courtesy would go a long way. also on your other post you were right you do need a quota the wayi read it but i might have one you can borrow if the days you want to hunt and mine are different. i hunt mostly week days so call me if you would like to work something out. bryen 232-0592

·
Registered
189 Posts
We run some land that backs up to a hunter's club up in Rosington and we always wear our orange when we're on horse back. Heard too many stories of trigger happy fools shooting into a moving bus to bloody something up.

If somebody shot my dog, looking like a deer or not, they'd be gettin some # 6 in the face and that's that.:usaflag

CurtyV

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I post on the Pointing Dog Journal site. It is a good one for me to get advice on dog training on. I have trained beagles before but this ismy first bird dog. I have not been alot this year but I have found at least one covey every time I have gone. I don't know how this compares with other years or other peoples luck. I am learning alot everytime and I think that my dog is improving. I am going to try and do quite a bit of training this off season with her and try to hunt more next year.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I dog hunt in Blackwater and have never had a problem with the bird hunters. We seen one 2 weekends ago and the party passed the word to use caution in the area while driving due to the bird dogs. Had alot of bird hunters pass on buck sightings so I try and do the same and let them know if I've recently seen some quail. I know of 3 deer dogs that have been shot in the last 5 years and all by stand hunters that are hunting next to the dog hunting area. They won't admit the reason they stand hunt there is in hopes a buck will get past but then get mad if a dog wanders in. I would be a little more careful in the still hunt areas during season. I stand hunt also and have done so for almost 30 years so I am not slamming all stand hunters just the few bad apples.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Public property is just that...public. you have every right within the law to hunt birds. Of course, be courteous (I'm sure you are) and you should have no problems. There should be legal action you can take if someone shoots your dog. I would pursue it if it was intentional...probably not if it was truly an accident (which would be very, very rare!) Enjoy the woods. I sure wish I had a pointer.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would still kick his ass good...with the time and money it takes to train a dog, not to mention he's a part of the family....i couldnt even imagine the rage

CurtyV

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I have a club lease that adjoins Blackwater in northern Santa Rosa county. We have been harassed by dogs running in our lease all year; the last two weeks the same dogs have ran in there, not only during the day, but are loose to roam during the night. These are collared dogs with the electronics...why doesn't the owner pick them up at sundown? The dogs will not allow a person to get close enough to tie them, otherwise we would pick them up and call the owner. What is the solution? We have strong club rules against shooting dogs; however, when a hunter pays $1,000 per year for a membership, hundreds of dollars for other gear and equipment, and then hundreds of dollars to be able to go hunt "his" lease only to have that special week-end interrupted by trespassing dogs - what do you do?

The game warden says "call the owner"! Would love to. The game warden is too busy to come take care of the situation himself, and I am not going to invest in a tranquilizer gun to protect someone elses dogs. I would love to hear suggestions - "legal" ones of course. Obviously I can think of several options that are not legal or ethical, but choose not to kill the dog - yet.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The only thing I can think of is deal with it like any other trespasser...block the roads and catch them at the source.

Are the dogs just abandoned out there or are the people hunting them and then picking them up really late?

CurtyV

·
Registered
478 Posts
I hunt rabbits with beagles and hunt alot on the upper delta management area in Alabama.You are allowed to run any day there is not a scheduled gun hunt of some kind.Occasionaly we do run into a bow hunter and they are always very nice ,but we are very careful to try and not turn loose near any trucks that may be there already.We had a problem last weekend on our hunting club dog deer hunting.It was the last weekend of dog season and a couple of our dogs got off of our club and on the neighbors they caught the dogs took off the tracking collars and threw them in the river.(collars)After a long search with the tracking machine and some wet suits and chest waders retrieved all the collars and all of the dogs by spreading the word and looking for about a week.It was not very fun and was totally un called for if they would have given us about an hour we would have retrieved the dogs that's why we pay thousands of dollars for tracking systems.

To anybody that is having a problem with dogs take it up with the dogs owner not the dog.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My bird dog is usually not far away from me and when she is I try to call her back in. I have to know when she goes on point or I am not there to make a shot. I can see that with the deer dogs they cover much more ground and usually operate from point A to point B. My dog hunts with me and we usually hunt in a big loop starting and ending from the same spot. I know it might be frustrating if you are on a stand and have a deer that is coming into range and another hunter or dog chases the deer off, however they also cause the deer to move when they are bedded down during the day giving you an opportunity that you may not have had. I would be very angry if someone intentionally harmed my dog and don't know how I would react. I have never had any problems with any other hunters, I think that 99% of them are good sportman and people just like you and me.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
fish4reel,

First of all I am sure I have had dogs stray from the management area as has any dog hunter. The dogs can't read and are only doing what is natural to them. We make every attempt to keep the dogs within the boundaries since once they get out we have to leave our guns with someone and try and retrieve them. This also takes away from our time to hunt but it is part of the sport I enjoy. We rarely if ever leave a dog out all night due to the distance he can travel during the night or the problem with someone either hitting them with a car or something else. As far as a solution there are several. It would be expensive but try and fence the lease where it borders the management area to minimize the dogs being able to get in. Most deer will clear the fence and hopefully the dog doesn't climb. Try locating another lease that doesn't border the dog hunting area would be the only other solution. I know the frustration you have since I also have a small lease that borders the dog hunt area but the way I look at it is on the boring afternoons maybe a dog will stir things up a bit for me while I'm sitting in the stand. Another good thing is the dog hunting is only open for the first 2 weeks and the last 3 weeks of the season. You have the middle 2 weeks and the last 2 weeks without having to worry about the dogs. I will continue to be an ethical and considerate dog hunter and will assure you we will do everything possible to keep our dogs contained. You can catch my dogs 99% of the time so if you do get one of my dogs I would a appreciate a call and we will get him promptly. Sorry for your problems during the season.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
fla scout

Obviously these are not your dogs, as you have indicated that you always pick up your dogs. But your response is ...well, a real head scratcher.

For instance; I know dogs can't read. But the dog's owner can, and the property is clearly posted around the boundaries and down every road and track, so the owner is aware.

And as posted, if we could catch the dogs we would certainly catch them and return them. We would also have a discusion with the owners at that time if we were able to catch the dog and identify the owners. So that option is out.

To get another lease to accomodate inconsiderate trespassers is...again, a real head scratcher for me - can't quite follow the logic.

We know that the dogs are being released on the adjacent tracts of the forest and allowed to roam on the week-ends. I camp out there so I know they are tracking even at night. And the idea that one of the dogs will scare something up for me, is again... a head scratcher. We still hunt because that is our choice. I personally used to dog hunt, but made the decision that still hunting and stalking is more to the nature of the way I learned to deer hunt, so that is what I do.

After much discussion with the club members, and of the adjacent membership, we have arrived at a humane solution.Given the fact that these two dogs, this year alone, have disrupted at least 20 club members hunts for several week-ends; we have arrived at the opinion that a pro would be cheaper than ruining our hunting season.Next year, if this persists, we will hire a professional to catch the dogs; then the owner has the right to redeem from the catcher for whatever fee and expenseshe charges.

I really like the idea of the fence,but, as a dog hunter would you be willing to build a fence around the area you hunt your dogs in? Probably not any more than other land owners would be to keep trespassers out.

I know these kind of back and forths have a way of getting blown out of proportions, and I know there have been club leases that have had roads tacked, and there have been dog hunters that have had their prize dogs killed. Let's just hope everyone would try to take care of their animals, and we will make every effort to corral and return any strays. That way, everyone will have a chance at a memorable experience.

Bye the way, just so you don't think that I hate dogs or dog hunters, we have - when asked, allowed dog hunters - especially bird hunters, to hunt the leased area during the week when none of the members are hunting.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have had these kind of discussions with many hunters dog and stalk hunters.I would have to say that I wish every hunting club and hunters were as nice about it as ya'll are.The situation that you are in sounds a little different than most if we had dogs that were on your land we would wait at the gate and after dark when the stalk hunters were coming out we usually ask if we could go in and catch our dogs.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Thanks fishn4real for your reply. I agree some folks would let this discussion get out of hand and hopefully that is not will occur. As far as the head scratchers that's all I could come up with since you asked for a solution. I agree not the best of solutions but I threw it out there just the same. I will PM you my contact information for you to store and if you have a problem in there you can give me a call and I'll see if the dogs are any of ours and if not I'll try and determine whose they are for you and then maybe you can get some resolution from the guilty parties involved. I think I know where the lease is at and I can assure you it is a pain in our ass to have to come up there and try and get them out of there so we will continue to do our best. Good luck towards the end of the season.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts