Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all. I am in the process of starting my head collections for Escambia County for CWD testing. We have to test 10 heads from every county in our surrounding area and Escambia is the hardest to get. I usually place coolers at a couple hunting clubs in the northern part of the county and those guys do a great job at helping me get my heads. I would like to expand my areas to some places we have never got heads before. If anyone has a club or private land where I can place a cooler that would be great. All I need is the head and six inches of the neck to complete the test. Bucks can be tested even after the antlers have been cut off and deer younger than 1.0 years can't be used. I can supply bags to put the heads in and a short info card that takes about 2 minutes to fill out. This info is used only for CWD testing and does not affect your doe tags or managment issues for your areas. The heads will need to be fresh and tested within 4 days of harvest. If anyone is interested please inbox me or post here and I will give my contact info so we can get the ball rolling. Thanks

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I'm the treasurer for the Rocky Branch Hunting Club off of Quintette Road in Escambia County. All deer harvested on our club have to be checked in at my place, and I can collect the heads for you. I will tell you that we have been slow this year, with only a couple of deer harvested so far, but most of our members don't really get motivated until January. You can PM me, or call me at 587-2467.

Just remembered, I should tell you that we are required to remove and submit a lower jawbone from each deer we kill, but the rest of the head is intact. Let me know if you're interested.

Ed

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am Ed, thanks. I will wait till after the 1st to bring you a cooler. The missing jaw bone is fine. I will call you after the holidays, thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I was fortunate enough to shoot a 105# doe tonight, and I have the head (less the jawbone we are required to keep) on ice for you. I will keep it until I process the deer, either Sundat night or Monday. Call me if you want this head for CWD Testing - 587-2467.

Ed

·
Registered
7,820 Posts
Ed, I don't hunt anymore and never heard of the lower jaw bone thing. Only thing I can think of is ageing. Why keep it? Thanks, Skip.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Hello Skip,
Our landowner has a Wildlife Biologist that helps to manage the deer herd. We turn in the collected jawbones, and he ages the deer that we harvest. Right now, most of the deer we take are 2 1/2 years old, we are working towards taking more deer that are 3 1/2 or older.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ed sorry I missed you. I left you a handful of 2 1/2 gallon Ziplocs for the next one. I really apappreciate you saving that for me. I will gladly make the trip for anymore you get. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts