Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's everyone's opinion on how true the deer feeding times are, and is it honestly the best time to hunt during the time the chart says?

·
Registered
88 Posts
The solunar charts help a lot. I hunted by primary times last year and generally saw more deer than my daylight/dark buddies. It just made me hunt harder and longer I reckon.

·
Registered
340 Posts
if u are talk about deer in a pen or some were thay dont get hunted for what ever the reason i would go bi the feeding time. But the deer most of us hunt u can throw it out the window. The deer will feed when thay feel the safest

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the first year that i am following the lunar charts so far i have seen more deer at the times it suggested

·
Registered
88 Posts
They def do. They are not the ultimate solution but they help. If primary was around like 1130 to 130 in the middle of the day last season, I would do a short mornin hunt, sit the primary time, and then hunt the eve. Saw lots more deer this way. I was always in the woods during primary hours. Killed two 8 points last season after 11 during primary times.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Solunar tables are great to follow, especially during the beginning of the season before they really get pressured. Though it's not always foolproof. First week of bow season was a new moon and the deer did move more during the major feeds. However time will vary based upon whether you hunt the Winn-dixie (food sources), Motel 6 (bedding areas), or the trails they walk on. Solunar tables are just a guideline, but you also need to consider other factors as well (moon phase, pressure, weather, etc).

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
the only time i find they're in the ballpark of accurate is when it predicts they'll feed between 6am to 9am. or 4pm to 6pm. and i don't think any of us need an app to guess that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
They work better than some give them credit. Again, I killed two mature bucks last year late season during the middle of the day during major feeding times.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Everyone...a little late but:

I'm the guy who developed and tested usprimetimes.com and really do live in the middle of the Helena National Forest, Montana (satellite could be better). Of course I think mine is better, but the data sure is. Also most of the sites folks spend their times in the field with guides, on weekends, or in their trucks. I do not.

Providing the weather is good, when hunting Predators I prefer working my way at least a mile past where there is any human sign, with early morning overhead times being the best. With Deer, a couple of hours before or after a moonrise or set seems to also get them moving, especially early or late in the day. For Elk or heavy pressured areas when solely hunting for huffed food, I'll find a choke point (or what I call a Safe Corridor, normally only used when critters are moving to a new area) where other hunters spook them my way. (BTY: I do not generally use solunar for Bear or Elk, if anyone has success, let me know).

Feel free to let me know if there is anything you would like on the site that isn't or you don't like.

Take care,

Mark

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
pretty good info here.The only thing i do not understand is why the info doesnt match.for example i have scoutlook and time2hunt on my phone and check the best hunt times on time 2 hunt and they dont match scoutlooks and are usually way off from usprimetimes so which one is right?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
for instance right now for clarksville florida usprimetimes gives 2 30 pm to 5 08 pm the best time for success with only 2 stars for sunday forecast.
time 2 hunt is saying 4 stars with 6 44 am to 9 02 am the best time using the solunar tab for sunday forecast.
They are completely opposite forecast and usually always different.Why so different if the data being used is based on the position of the moon.I dont get it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The best practice is finding something you believe in that will keep you in the stand longer. I honestly don't feel like charts help any more than anything else...but maybe that's just me. I have started going by my trail camera's now. I put them out for the week, check them the next weekend, and try to be in the woods at the times that I have the most pics. This has helped me to adjust my morning hunts lately, so that when they are moving late I will get there at 8:00 and sit as long as I can rather than daylight.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The best practice is finding something you believe in that will keep you in the stand longer. I honestly don't feel like charts help any more than anything else...but maybe that's just me. I have started going by my trail camera's now. I put them out for the week, check them the next weekend, and try to be in the woods at the times that I have the most pics. This has helped me to adjust my morning hunts lately, so that when they are moving late I will get there at 8:00 and sit as long as I can rather than daylight.
+1 i have a camera on a plot that rarely gets morning action.Pretty much guaranteed deer all over it after 4 pm

·
Registered
4 Posts
for instance right now for clarksville florida usprimetimes gives 2 30 pm to 5 08 pm the best time for success with only 2 stars for sunday forecast.
The Stars in the tables on usprimetimes solely reflect the overall influence of the moon on that day. Technically, it is computed from the moon distance, phase, and up times. Closer distance is stronger, for Phase the closer it is to a new or full moon the stronger. The Stars next to the graphs are determined from many additional factors (like how long and when the moon was up the night before), though are generally in the ball park.

I assume some other applications base their Star ratings on less data or say how close an overhead period is near a sunrise, etc. From field experience and research, usprimetimes results will be much more conservative than others. I tried to put as many factors as "reasonable" into the software that I do when determining the best time to be in the field from a combination of successes while hunting and what was documented on all the camera traps. It is also important to note that more than a fair share of websites and apps fundamental computations are off. It can be verified by doing a google search on Sun Moon Data for Day U.S. Naval Observatory. For example, If you see a moon overhead not occurring for more than a day, there's something wrong.

"Reasonable" meaning: For example on Weather, In Arizona when it got cold I knew the predators would be roaming for food. In Montana when it gets cold (for montana, minus double digits), they stay in bed longer. In AZ during morning overhead periods I observed more overall animal movement including Deer. In MT the camera traps showed consistent movement of Deer near moonrise and set times. Some professional offshore fishermen have also told me that good catches can occur at rise/set times as well.

A good way to look at solunar is an additional tool, if its cloudy (wear clothing w/o brighteners, even with dirty clothes predators will see you far away, deer will too), cool, the wind isn't too strong and in a steady direction, and its been that way overnight. Conversely, if its been windy all night and it dies down a couple hours before sunrise. Go out at sunrise no matter what the tables say, especially pre-front, you'll see something if your field craft is right.

Hope that wasn't too wordy,

Mark

1 - 20 of 23 Posts