Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally saw some dang deer at the tracked up spot I found on Escambia and man was that exciting hearing them crunch their way towards me. All does though, but deer none the less! The problem; my spot is right off the river. I tie the boat up and jump in the woods. The deer today moved right along, until they got within sight of the boat, then they stood there for 20 minutes stomping, sniffing, stomping, sniffing, staring...they would not pass the boat. They eventually decided to jet. If they had come from the other direction and saw it I wouldn't have even seen them, assuming they'd do the same thing. Any ideas?? It's a gheenoe so it's pretty small already.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Color? Maybe try to camouflage the boat with palmetto fans.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Could they have smelled the boat, or your stuff in the boat?
Try camo netting.

·
Praedator
10,092 Posts
If they didn't run right away it was probably the human scent from the boat vs actually seeing it. When a deer makes my truck with sight, they usually bolt immediately and blow like crazy. But if they wind it, they start sniffing with their nose in the air, stomping, and then getting the heck out of dodge when they can't figure it out, but know something is not right.

I would suspect that the wind was blowing the scent from your boat into the woods etc...

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awww snap, did somebody say camo?? Been looking for a reason... the wind was good today and there ain't nothing in the boat that doesn't sit outside 24/7. I think it was the sight of it more than anything. The trail is 10 feet from the bank so a boat sitting there is not something they won't notice lol.

·
Super Moderator
28,636 Posts
At least you saw some critters brother....keep after them!

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
So I finally saw some dang deer at the tracked up spot I found on Escambia and man was that exciting hearing them crunch their way towards me. All does though, but deer none the less! The problem; my spot is right off the river. I tie the boat up and jump in the woods. The deer today moved right along, until they got within sight of the boat, then they stood there for 20 minutes stomping, sniffing, stomping, sniffing, staring...they would not pass the boat. They eventually decided to jet. If they had come from the other direction and saw it I wouldn't have even seen them, assuming they'd do the same thing. Any ideas?? It's a gheenoe so it's pretty small already.
They know a boat means Man.They hear u coming down the river & stop in their tracs till u gone. They are kinda smart.

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
your hunting mighty close to the boat from the story, try getting away from it!?
Yep, because that's where the sign is. It's higher ground so they walk the bank looking for dry food and dirt. Escambia is a tricky place to hunt...!?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've hunted the river and still do for 20 years, I can tell you all about it!? The sign is on the ridge line but the deer are far off typically during daylight. You need to start considering getting deeper in and find yourself the same ridge lines deep in the swamp, the bank ridges are usually dark hour traveling routes.

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
youre welcome to come school me, i'd even buy lunch! this area has so ridges. the highest and driest spot is the river bank, into the woods its low, wet, squishy, flooded, then theres a creek, then theres Pace. If i had more time to explore I would, but for now I have this spot and a few weekends left. This is way South as well, its very different above quintet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts