Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I would Like start by saying I hunt the northern part of Escambia River property between mystic and bluff springs. This year hasn't been the greatest for me I missed a big 9 point on opening weekend of gun season. I was already pretty upset with myself about that hunt. Well this hunt on Monday 12/31/07 put a real dent in my hunting season. The river is at 17 Ft which is flood stage. So I knew the deer would be looking for high ground. So I ask my hunting buddy to drop me off in a spot I knew where deer seem to hold when the river goes up.It was about 30mins after my buddy drop me off and I was slow stalking through the woods when I spotted a deer standing about 30 yards from me shaking water off . I guess he just gotten out of the river.I stopped behind this little white oak andwatch the deercome out frombehinda tree it was a nice 8 point. I had my 12 guage in shooting positionthe deer started to walk towards me and turn I got a good shoulder shot on him he ran back towards the river I heard him it the water. I ran down to the bank of the river and I saw my deer in the river trying to swim but couldn't. Their was nothing I could do. I watched him slip underneath the water and never to be seen again. I feel really bad about the whole thing. Well if anybody finds a nice 8 point floating Escambia river it's probably mine. The river is moving so fast the deer is probably in the gulf of Mexico by now.

·
Super Moderator
28,595 Posts
Isecond that Woody....It wasn't too cool today....It's called deer grapling...just stick your arm into holes and feel for antlers:doh

Seriously, sorry fer the misfortune brother....at least you are seeing bucks!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would have jumped in if the water wasn't moving so fast the water was pushing 30ft trees down river i like tooth picks. Their is spot down by minerals springs were water was making just big whirlpools. the river makesa realhard turn towards the north. When we made the turn in the boat it took the boat almost full throttle to get moving. I couldn't believe how fast that water was moving. The river is at flood stage right now. The spot where I shot the deer i usually half climb up a ten foot cliff to get on top, but this time all i did was step off the boat. I surfed in alot of bad weather. That river is nothing to mess with

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
That sucks for sure! You made the right decision not to risk your life in moving water to retrieve a deer. By the way is the water pretty cold now? Hypothermia is a real killer too and since you were dropped off that should have been a consideration too. Come guys we're talking about a deer here not a friend or another human.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
David Ridenour (1/2/2008)That sucks for sure! You made the right decision not to risk your life in moving water to retrieve a deer. By the way is the water pretty cold now? Hypothermia is a real killer too and since you were dropped off that should have been a consideration too. Come guys we're talking about a deer here not a friend or another human.
I'm with you on this one David. Yup deer sure can swim but will definitely go under and not float.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I hate to hear that, I used to hunt off the Black Worrior ( Lock 5) & I walked up a blow down tree so I could see better, I saw 2 does slipping out of the section, as I shot I remember seeing the sky, landing on my back & rolling over to see them head towards the river, I hear a boat slow down & I run to the bank to see 3 guys pulling the deer in & haul butt, I was in a 13 ft w/ 25 hp they had to have a 90 hp, they were almost out of site when I reached my dad & uncle which had a 200hp Nitro, I was screaming they got my deer & they took off after them & caught them at the Lock & got the deerwith no confrontation, good memories for me, but I know the ones I've lost keep me up at nite. See ya in the woods.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts