Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a big advocate of the Moultrie I-40's the last few years. I ended getting 2 more this year and returned both of them for a refund. Not sure I'll buy another. They just did not perform like my other I-40s have. One wouldn't hardly take a pic and the other had a 5 second trigger which I found unacceptable for the way I use my cams.

So now I'm in search for a cam that will equal or out perform the older I-40s $for$. I've read some good things on the bushnell trophy cams (real small ones) and apparently they are coming out with a newer better version this year. I've also heard decent stuff on the cudde capture flash as just a basic cam setup.

So help me out. What are you using? What's the trigger speed? How is the battery life? Any issues?

I've been to chasingame.com and a couple other review sites. I still think they are a little bias and don't necessarily test the cams in real hunting situations. I'd like to keep it in the $150-$250 price range.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I use the Stealth cam Rogue IR it has a pretty quick trigger speed and also takes video and will accept a 2G sd card for around$120.The best thing ive found with Stealth cam is the 12vlt rechargeableexternal battery($40)it will last 2 months on one charge so you never will have to put batteries inside the camera and run the risk of one exploding acid all over the inside of your camera. The battery is totally waterproof, plugs in on the bottom of the camera with 10ft of cord. For the money its the best deal out there in my opinion.

Hope this helps! Good Luck

·
Registered
628 Posts
Ya can't beat the Cuddeback Capture.... Have 2 and gonna get another.....Ya don't need the IR(IMO)....Still use a coupla others....The ones with the IRtakes most pix with the critters looking at the camera....Flash doesn't seem to scare the critters.....

Dead critters....

Here's Yogi as he walked by.....

The Capture is the most foolproof, simple camera thatI have ever used.....

Setting the time, day, and date is so easy even I can do it!!!!!!YMMV

Took over 5000 pix this year using the 4 D bats that I started the season with.....

George

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's good to know the battery life on the cudde. I had an expert a few years ago and besides leaking like a seive it ate the batteries.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I was the same way with the Moultrie I-40. I have 4 and I don't think the display screen work's on any of them. I won't buy another! I have a couple of the Bushnell trophy cam's and love them! They are small, take good picture's and have great battery life. They are coming out with improvement's this year and it is stying the same price of $199. I have a scoutguard that is basically the same as the trophy cam. I also have a Cuddeback capture flash and it is a really good camera. Their trigger speed is awesome! You really can't go wrong with any of those. The trophy cam will not use a PNY Optima sd card like you get at Walmart though. Once they come out with this year's model I will add a couple to my collection.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Send your Moultrie's back. They will fix it for free. I have the info if interested.

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imkilroy (2/9/2010)
Tightline (2/9/2010)Send your Moultrie's back. They will fix it for free. I have the info if interested.
If you can, please post the return info.
I sent 3 of the 5 I have back because of the screen issue. They will fix it and give you a new warranty on the screen.All of mine work great now.

Thanks for all the info so far. I thought about picking up a couple of those stealths just to stick on my feeders here in FL. I saw where they were coming out with a new version of the Bushnell Trophy Cam. Suppose to fix the sensor and flash distance. I talked with Shane at Scott's today and he said they were going to ship the BTC to him on March 1st. I'll get one as soon as they get in. I may pick up a Cudde as well. The only thing I have on the Cudde is I don't like their customer service. I got the run around with my Expert. It would take about 500pics per set of batts and leaked bad.

Speck...I'm the same way on the Flash vs IR. They notice it either way. I've gotten tons of pics of the same deer over and over and coming up and down the same trails over and over with both. The IR may be a little more suttle versus a boom of flash but I don't think it bothers them to much. What I do like with the IR is you can get a night video feature with most of them. That's a pretty cool feature to stick over a scrape.

Anyone else got any other cams they've had good luck with.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've used both the cudde,moultrie and older stealthcam but the one I'm most pleased with is the Wildgame Innovations IR cam I bought at Basspro for $79. Over 1000 pics so far on the same set of batteries and they're still at 3/4 charge. Picture quality is comparable to the cuddeand better than the others I've used.

Mike Maddox

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
This is my first year with an I40 and love the pics but hate the battery life. The best I have gotten so far is three weeks. My Rogue stealth cam gets almost a month and half without the external battery. I have replaced the batteries once since december. I keep it in video mode and it will accept and use a 4 gig card even though they say it will only take 2. I bought the I-40 after the stealth cam because the pics on the stealth were not as good as I expected (may just be my cam, my mother has one and the pics are much better). The D-40 pics do not compare to the I-40 in my opinion and none compare the D-60 that my brother has. Still the battery in the D-60 stinks. Go with Cudde for one and try it out, that will be my next choice. I am tired of spending as much money in 3 months on batteries and missed shots as I would have on the top of the line.

As stated Moultries customer service is unbeatable. They warranty like no ones business, that is important as well. BTW, I timed the trigger on my I-40. I moved my wrist in front of the cam set the stop watch at the same time. The longest trigger on mine was about 2 1/2seconds. The longest trigger on the stealth cam was 1 - 2 seconds.

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mpmorr (2/9/2010)This is my first year with an I40 and love the pics but hate the battery life. The best I have gotten so far is three weeks. My Rogue stealth cam gets almost a month and half without the external battery. I have replaced the batteries once since december. I keep it in video mode and it will accept and use a 4 gig card even though they say it will only take 2. I bought the I-40 after the stealth cam because the pics on the stealth were not as good as I expected (may just be my cam, my mother has one and the pics are much better). The D-40 pics do not compare to the I-40 in my opinion and none compare the D-60 that my brother has. Still the battery in the D-60 stinks. Go with Cudde for one and try it out, that will be my next choice. I am tired of spending as much money in 3 months on batteries and missed shots as I would have on the top of the line.

As stated Moultries customer service is unbeatable. They warranty like no ones business, that is important as well. BTW, I timed the trigger on my I-40. I moved my wrist in front of the cam set the stop watch at the same time. The longest trigger on mine was about 2 1/2seconds. The longest trigger on the stealth cam was 1 - 2 seconds.
How many pics are you getting in those 3 weeks with your I-40? I'm getting 5000+ pics on a set of batteries with mine. I put new batts in at the beginning of the season and haven't put new ones in yet. You might want to send it back to Moultrie and see what they say if your not getting a bunch of pics. I wish the new model I-40's were as good as the older ones I have. I was very dissappointed with the results.

Those wildgames have gotten pretty good reviews on several of the review sites I've read...especially withfor the$.They battery life is really the only complaint I've seen, and it wasn't really all that bad. Seems that 3000pics is about all they can handle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts