Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me wether using calls in florida has ever produced A deer for them. I've sat in alot of trees in blackwater and I've never heard deer vocalizing. some people have said they've seen less deer when using any sort of call here. Last year I heard somebody rattling during opening day of bow season which I thought was odd since the rut doesn't start till late Jan. just looking for cases for and against.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Calls work great here. If you hunt land that has a good deer herd and you can actually observe a good rut,then you will see results of grunts and bleats.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I guess it varys as I see close to a dozen deer every time I hunt our property and I have never heard a deer make a sound (rut or not) except when they blow when they smell you.

·
Your mom's a
6,788 Posts
I've had them work and not work.

Just depends on the situation.

Use them sparingly and don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah I have heard them blow when they smell me. loud as hell when nothing else is making a sound out in the woods. was about to fall asleep when a doe busted me and started blowing. scared the hell out of me actually.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
North Okaloosa deer will run from a bleat/snort/grunt/wheeze/rattle. I have tried every one of those at some point over the last 5-6 years. May differ for your area.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The only calls I have had work for me are fawn bleats early in bow season and the can estrous bleats during the rut. This has been in Blackwater WMA.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The fawn bleat has worked a few times for me on eglin. Overall I say no calling is best. I also dont care for any sent attractant. If deer do come to any of the calls or attractant they seam more alert.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I think it all matters on the deer that's hearing you. 2 years ago I rattled in a 10 that came in ready to kick my butt...best hunt i've ever been on. I've rattled alot since then (during rut and late pre-rut) and only had interest from one other buck...

I think 90% of it is being in the right spot at the right time with the right deer coming by you.

·
Registered
427 Posts
i've heard grunting by deer, i like to use a doe in heat bleat can and estrus doe pee during the rut i've had racked bucks come in to it on public land. I don't use a grunt too often though or the bleat maybe once every 30 min or so. i feel like i don't wanna give my position away if there's a deer lookin at me from a thicket or something.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The deer on public land are super educated. If the Deer respond at all it's probably going to be downwind in some THICK stuff. Ive heard does bleat in bow season and some bucks grunt during the rut in BW. Never had a deer come to a call on public land tho, I think it does more harm than good.

·
Registered
342 Posts
ive rattled them in during archers with some very light rattles(imitateing 2 bucks sparrin not fighting) and called then ib with fawn doe and buck different times of the year on public land many of times but in the same note have spooked some off doing it. guess it all depends on situation and what kinda mood the deer are in lol

·
Registered
342 Posts
i watched some videos on bow season rattlin not the knuckle busting rut kind stuff lol, try lookin up some videos if ya can find them slighlty different world i feel and less bloody knuckles lol

·
Banned
97 Posts
Whitetaila in Alabama and Florida do not respond to calls like u think. If u go up north and call they will come to the bottom of your tree. Big difference. And this is from experience not just thoughts.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is hard to be successful with calls in FL, especially on public land. The whole reason bucks respond to calls (rattling, grunts, snort wheezes) in the first place is their fear that another buck has came into his area and trying to steal his poon, basically outside competition trying to breed his does. In FL (especially public land) there are very poor buck to doe ratios and the bucks rarely have to fight and protect their soil since there is enough does to go around for the whole buck herd on the given property. Also, with poor buck to doe ratios, the bucks have the convenience of chasing/tending/breeding on their own time and rarely have to move in daylight hours to search for does (probably why you haven't heard many deer noises while in the stand, a bucks going to do what makes him most comfortable in a low buck to doe ratio property)

I've had best luck using calls when the bucks signs tell you he's hunting for does (active scrapes, fresh rub lines, or if your lucky enough to see a buck chasing). Still use calls very sparingly during the time you consider "the rut". The worst mistake any FL hunter could do is grab a set of rattling horns and bash them together, that works on TV when hunters are after 150"+ bucks but in FL the deer would know a fight that loud is unnatural or they are about to get their ass whooped, either way they will take off running. after all, our mature public land bucks are very smart and didn't get old by coming to the first grunt call he heard.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I have had the primos can work for me on two different hunts, one on eglin where a decent 8pt. came jogging right to me for a easy kill and also one time in the river swamp. When I rolled the can a nice wide 8pt. came sneaking through but he busted me before I could get a shot. But I have also turned the can tons of times with nothing, so it all depends on the situation.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts