Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
80/20 is the way to go IMO. Did you find the suet at WD?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
no, i got about 10lbs at food outlet. that outta get me started.
jack

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Here's a really good casserole recipe that will get even my kids to eat venison.

Cheesy Ground Venison and Rice Casserole
Servings: 6
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 50 mins Total Time: 1 hr
Ground Venison and Rice Casserole is easy, cheesy, and a great use of ground venison or other ground meat. Cream of mushroom soup, shredded cheese, and other staple ingredients come together for the creamiest casserole ever.
Ingredients
1 lb. ground venison or other meat (lean is best)
1 Tablespoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
Salt/Pepper
3/4 cup onions, diced
1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 cup beef or chicken broth
1 box Uncle Bens Long Grain and Wild Rice (Original Recipe with the 23 spice pack, NOT the instant stuff)
8 oz. sliced mushrooms, washed
10.5 oz. cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk, any kind
2 cups cheddar cheese, separated
Instructions
  • Cook Uncle Ben’s rice per instructions (about 25 minute cook time) best in a large skillet – cast iron preferred.

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

• Brown the ground venison in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Mix in Montreal Steak Seasoning as the venison cooks.

• Drain if necessary (if using no-fat venison do not drain) and set the ground venison aside in a separate dish/bowl. Cover with foil.

• Add a splash of Olive Oil to the skillet. Add the diced onions and mushrooms, and cook for 5 minutes, until softened.

• Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 more minute.

• Add the broth, olive oil, and Cream of Mushroom Soup. Stir to combine. Leave in Skillet.

• When rice is cooked, it to the ground venison and HALF of the cheese. Stir to combine.

• Add the ground venison, rice and cheese mix back into the skillet. Combine well over low heat.

• Transfer all ingredients from skillet to a lightly greased 9 x 13 casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.

• Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Serve!
Notes
  • If you prefer to use different rice, refer to package instructions for cooking time and amount of liquid as it requires more of both. You want to end up with 2 cups cooked rice. BUT you lose the seasoning from the Uncle Ben’s packet.

• You can add ½ cup milk and/or ½ cup sour cream to step 7 for a creamier casserole

• To make this ahead of time, assemble the casserole, cover, and store in the fridge for up to 2 days. Let it sit out for 30 minutes prior to baking. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until center is hot and cheese is melted.

• OR cover un-baked casserole with foil and freeze it whole. Pull from freezer and thaw, then bake as indicated above.

• Instead of mushrooms, you may choose to use frozen peas, carrots, and/or corn.

• Leftovers freeze very well!

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
that really sounds good, phillip. i'm gonna try that tonight. maybe this afternoon.
jack

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
first ten lbs. of 80/20. 1/2 cp. meat rendered only 1 tsp. fat. cooked up nice.
tastes like store-bought.
jack

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
ready for the freezer. aged 22 days. 80/20 deer to beef fat.

Reactions: DLo and D_Peeples93

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
these pics are from 2015 but the recipe still works great. i made some the other night and had to dig up pics to make sure i was using the same ingredients.
best vegetable soup in the south.

brown the deer burger and set aside
combine fresh veggies (carrots, onion, celery, garlic) and saute in fat from burger.
combine all canned veggies and set aside. (peas, corn, string beans, potato)
combine burger/canned tomato and cook for about 30 mins. to cook the tomato
Add all cooked ingredients in a large pot and simmer for about an hour.
i use only salt, pepper, and basil
jack

Reactions: halo1 and DLo
21 - 28 of 28 Posts