Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as you all know, a friendly car gave me a fresh road kill that me and a fishing buddy skinned, gutted and put in the fridge on the 27th (i think). can't get any fresher than loose limbs and blood coming out of the mouth.
time to make burger on friday (21 days) but i'm looking for beef fat. my first thought was to buy a whole brisket from wallworld, trim the fat, and sell the brisket to a friend who barbques for dollars on the weekend. found some today at a local grocer (selma outlet).$1.50/lb. with a lot of meat in between the fat. i get pork trimmings for $.59/lb to make summer sausage links. why the price jump on excess fat you ask? because the butcher said he uses it in hamburger. oh. mystery solveeed. i'll post some pics this week to show how it's coming along. my question is....and i want your honest opinion (lol), what ratio would you use to make burger since this beef fat is kinda lean?
jack

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you let deer meat age and then grind it up with beef fat, it's hard to tell the difference in deer burger and hamburger in the grocery store. got to get all the deer fat, though, cause that has a nasty taste.
jack

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
i've used brisket and i've used wild pig. both 50/50. no fat added except what's on the meat. i like the deer/pig better. i do about 80% of my hunting meat like this. we use the ground meat for everything from burgers, meat loaf, chili and spaghetti sauce. i make pan sausage out of it when i need it. just mix up the spices and add to a lb of the ground meat. i guess it would be a little better with more fat, but it would cost more also. i'm happy with it like it is. local grocery store used to give me the pork trimmins free, now they want $1.00 a lb.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Most of what Dad and I used to make was 90/10. But that was pure fat / tallow. Dad liked it to have just enough fat to fry up without adding any oil or butter (fat). Most of it was used in bulk dishes like chili, spaghetti meat sauce, lasagna, etc.
My buddy, his son and I do it now. We add more fat for burgers. Usually around 80/20, maybe a little more. If the fat is lean like you say, I'd probably go around 70/30 for grilled burgers.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
We use pure beef fat (tallow) mixed at 90/10. I NEVER use pork fat for burger as you are forced to then cook it to 165° internal. Who the hell wants a hockey puck for a burger?? I certainly use pork fat for sausage and other products that are usually cooked to that temp.

·
Super Moderator
28,803 Posts
I bought beef fat from the Butcher Shoppe in Pcola... 99 cents a lb. I mix mine about 75/25. I used pork ends one time and I liked it but the ole lady said it was too smoky tasting....

Reactions: Corpsman and jack2

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
I get my deer ground with no fat added (I make a bunch of jerky) .... but when I ground my own I'd just get the cheapest bulk hamburger at walmart and add 30% to the deer grind. That burger is fatty and it worked out pretty well.

Reactions: jack2

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
We use pure beef fat (tallow) mixed at 90/10. I NEVER use pork fat for burger as you are forced to then cook it to 165° internal. Who the hell wants a hockey puck for a burger?? I certainly use pork fat for sausage and other products that are usually cooked to that temp.
165 is old time pork temp. most sausage stuffers now use 145. i never get pork over 140. my wife swears its too raw, but that's just the way i like it.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
145 for domestic pork, 165 for wild pork, 165 is to kill trichinosis and brucellosis which has been eliminated in domestic stocks.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I bought some from Winn Dixie on Dallas last year jack. I think it was less than a dollar a pound and came on a styro covered in cellophane wrap. I remember taking it home and marie asking if I was going to grill it. LOL.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks, mark. i'll check it out today.
jack

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pics soon. stay tuned.
jack

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks to you guys OPINIONS, i think imma try some 80/20 because of the amount of lean on that fat.
jack

1 - 20 of 28 Posts