Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I typically troll the nipple and edge and have had some luck with the hoos and dolphin. I was wondering if anyone has had luck deep dropping those ledges with snapper and grouper season opening up I want to try and see if I can bottom drop instead of coming all the way back to wreck fish in the shallow water. Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Motor fishing I use a spreader bar with a 4lb + window weight depended on current make a multiple hook rig bigger hooks and baits to the bottom and followed up with smaller hooks at the top of the leader for Mingos/ porgies i have caught a 90 lb Warsaw on this rig on one of the top hooks I was using a 200lb backbone on the leader followed by 150

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
So I typically troll the nipple and edge and have had some luck with the hoos and dolphin. I was wondering if anyone has had luck deep dropping those ledges with snapper and grouper season opening up I want to try and see if I can bottom drop instead of coming all the way back to wreck fish in the shallow water. Thanks

yes, you can deep drop in that area.

jack

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beachum, are you throwing live baits on the bigger bottom hooks or dead all the way around? I feel like with a spread like that the bigger chunks at the bottom might get snipped by some of the smaller butch fish but like I said I only have experience fishing the wrecks when it comes to bottom dropping, thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Live baits will tangle up the rig you must cut your baits properly so they don’t spin on the way down. Taper cutting the bait works well. Always use two squids doubled upon the hook!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts