Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just get some gear for deep dropping, and would some info from the ones that know more about it than me. How deep are you fishing? What does a good area look like on your DF? How much weight? What size hooks, and what are you using for bait? I know no one is going to give up exact GPS numbers, but can you give some general arrears to start look for good bottom?

·
Squid technician
10,498 Posts
I've only deep dropped a few times but have been successful most of the time. I generally fish in 650-750ft with 4-5 hook rigs with different sized hooks depending on what that area produces but generally a 13-14/0 Mustad 39960 circle hook works great all around. I add a light at the top of the rig and have found that without the light your bites decrease by half.Bait up with strips of cuda, AJ, blackfin, bonito or squid. Weight size will be determined by current but if you just go ahead and throw 5lbs on it, you shouldn't have a problem holding bottom. As far as bottom relief and what will actually show on your depthfinder, zoom in with bottom lock feature to within about 50ft of the bottom and look for any ledges or rockpiles that provide any kind of cover. It may only be 2ft of relief but that usually all it takes.

There are other members that know far more about it than I but this is what has worked in the past for me. I plan on further refining my techniques this year

·
Registered
656 Posts
tunapopper (3/15/2010)I've only deep dropped a few times but have been successful most of the time. I generally fish in 650-750ft with 4-5 hook rigs with different sized hooks depending on what that area produces but generally a 13-14/0 Mustad 39960 circle hook works great all around. I add a light at the top of the rig and have found that without the light your bites decrease by half.Bait up with strips of cuda, AJ, blackfin, bonito or squid. Weight size will be determined by current but if you just go ahead and throw 5lbs on it, you shouldn't have a problem holding bottom. As far as bottom relief and what will actually show on your depthfinder, zoom in with bottom lock feature to within about 50ft of the bottom and look for any ledges or rockpiles that provide any kind of cover. It may only be 2ft of relief but that usually all it takes.

There are other members that know far more about it than I but this is what has worked in the past for me. I plan on further refining my techniques this year

You will have plenty of chances to "refine your technigue" with us if you can get off work. You can ride along as "part of the crew" anytime we go Deep dropping. The tile fish you gave mewas pretty damn good too, thanks!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would say start about 350ft on out . I cruse about 15 mph and just watch my fish finder pertty much for any thing thats not flat, then if i see some thing i hit the gps turn around drive over it again and if it looks good drop on it. If i catch a fish i keep drifting it. IF i dont keep driving do that all day and you will find fish. p.s. If you use electric reels dontstop the motor because you will have rippeda hole in the fishes mouth and the hook will come out very easy . good luck.

·
Registered
172 Posts
all of the preceding is very good advice.

One thing I can add is sharpen the hell out of your hooks. It means a smaller puncture hole in the fishes jaw and less chance the hook will back out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts