Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have it narrowed down to two kayaks: Viking Profish Reload and Ocean Kayak Trident 13. Primarily fish bays, flats, tidal creeks, and small lakes. Have not fished from the surf yet, but in my plans. Obvioulsy different length kayaks at 14.9 and 13.6 respectively with different hull designs. Both kayaks will handle chop, rough water, and are great fishing platforms. Don't know how big of a difference in paddling between the Viking and Trident to justify the $$$ for the Viking. My trips on average are around 3-5 miles.

Tackle Pod vs Mod Pod any opinions?

Thanks

·
Love to fish!
154 Posts
Go with the Trident. I have one and I love it. Its stable, fast and about half the money of a Viking. The only flaw with the Trident, if you take some big waves over the bow repeatedly. You will take on water through the front hatch and the rod pod. Its not enough to be a big problem, but if you don't keep an eye on it. It will become a barge. I'm talking 40 waves and a couple flips, before you notice, its not as easy to paddle. My last trip to the beach, I ran 6 baits, flipped it twice and I soaked up the water with a hand towel.
I use mine for deploying baits and it works for me.
Their customer service is also great. I lost my front drain plug last year. They replaced it for free. I lost an adjustable tab for the foot peg this year. They sent me a pair for free.
Sure, its not a Hobie, but for getting down and doing some serious paddling, this thing will move. Check out this Video. Its not mine and I have no affiliation with Ocean Kayak, but this is what sold me on it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts