Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Okay - I’ve always wanted a radar to help avoid thunder storms. Like all of us, I’ve been caught in some really bad ones. One of my units is a Garman 12” and I fish a 27’ cc hybrid. Which radar would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Okay - I’ve always wanted a radar to help avoid thunder storms. Like all of us, I’ve been caught in some really bad ones. One of my units is a Garman 12” and I fish a 27’ cc hybrid. Which radar would you guys recommend?
Minimum 3G 24 mile, that will give you roughly 12 miles in any direction. Keep in mind, 12 miles can be a short distance with a fast moving storm. I don't have XM, friends have told me they were in cell phone range picking up weather cells that XM had close to 10 minutes lag time on. This I don't know for sure, just what I've been told.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Minimum 3G 24 mile, that will give you roughly 12 miles in any direction. Keep in mind, 12 miles can be a short distance with a fast moving storm. I don't have XM, friends have told me they were in cell phone range picking up weather cells that XM had close to 10 minutes lag time on. This I don't know for sure, just what I've been told.
XM definitely has a lag time and the time/age displayed on the screen is when the data was sent out. The reason is they need to shoot the radar in a 360 circle and at 3 or 4 pitch angles, then they need to stitch the image together and send it out to you, and that can take up to another 2 minutes. There’s been a couple small planes that crashed because they thought they were well clear of storms.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts