Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever heard of or tried this technique? The word is use a scented bait I.E, gulp,slurp,or fish bite, find an area which holds a lot of skittish fish. Cast and relax. Alot of the guy's on the Oh Boy Oberta are swearing by this technique.

I first heard about it whenI fished the Kemah stop of the cup. I didn't put any value in it. But i am hearing more and more about it.

Apparently the foraging fish will find it naturally, by scent and sight, and the lack of movement will not spook them.

·
Praedator
9,977 Posts
I will sometimes put a gulp shrimp underneath a float and then cast and wait. It has produced sometimes when the fish were not biting otherwise.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I tried this the other day with a gulp & caught a small Speck. Iwatched my ol friend Steve Jones do this ( Insperation Charters ) he told me that Red Fish will especially pick it up off of the bottom.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I do not inshore fish but, it works for bottom fishin and catfishing so I would think it would be just as deadly on inshore, especially with a flo/car leader. BBob

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've tried similar things for redfish as mentioned and had decent luck,and every now and then i will pick up a speck this way.More reds though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've found it much better jerking a cajun thunder over a gulp. Just sitting and waiting catches pin fish for me.

·
Registered
780 Posts
It works especially well when fishing around docks or structure for redfish! When sight fishing we will also just throw the Gulp! out in front of the fish and let it sit, not as extreme as just letting it sit under a dock, but another variation of dead sticking...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have caught a few reds and several cats using this method. Most of the time I am playing deckhand for my wife and place the rod in the holder. When I take it out there is a fish on the end. Last year I caught 4 bull reds while helping my wife:Wow:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
You mean... youjust threw out the gulp... bait whatever... and left it... then you came back to check on it... and there was a fish on it? I would think..a catfish.. or a crab. That's good you caught reds!! geeez.. I'll have to try that out this weekend!!!:toast

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
If you're sightfishing especially, deadstick a Gulp peeler crab.

If you can get it within 5 feet of the front end of a redfish, you'll be on in just a few seconds.

If you're worried about the spook, just put it further out in front of him. He'll find it, those things stink.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I tried it a few time last year with a peeler crab. I caught Zilch, Nothing, and Nadda! The only bites I had were where little pinfish (I guess) nibbled the legs off the crabs.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yea the technique is definately effective on skittish fish. I started doin it for bass in saltwater but I did it pretty often in NC. It definately produces, especially with super scented baits like the gulp.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Gloryboy (10/2/2007)<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

Thanks for the responses. My next day off is the 12th of Oct. I guess I will try it out down in Matagorda.:letsdrink</BLOCKQUOTE>
I was just down in Corpus Christi for two weeks and I didn't catch anything to write home about. I was over in the Packard Channel. I did catch some 12 to 15in drum but being up here in P'Cola with the type of fish we always catch around here had me hoping for something bigger there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts