Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever heard of or tried this technique? The word is use a scented bait I.E, gulp,slurp,or fish bite, find an area which holds a lot of skittish fish. Cast and relax. Alot of the guy's on the Oh Boy Oberta are swearing by this technique.

I first heard about it whenI fished the Kemah stop of the cup. I didn't put any value in it. But i am hearing more and more about it.

Apparently the foraging fish will find it naturally, by scent and sight, and the lack of movement will not spook them.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I tried this the other day with a gulp & caught a small Speck. Iwatched my ol friend Steve Jones do this ( Insperation Charters ) he told me that Red Fish will especially pick it up off of the bottom.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have caught a few reds and several cats using this method. Most of the time I am playing deckhand for my wife and place the rod in the holder. When I take it out there is a fish on the end. Last year I caught 4 bull reds while helping my wife:Wow:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
You mean... youjust threw out the gulp... bait whatever... and left it... then you came back to check on it... and there was a fish on it? I would think..a catfish.. or a crab. That's good you caught reds!! geeez.. I'll have to try that out this weekend!!!:toast

·
Your mom's a
6,788 Posts
If you're sightfishing especially, deadstick a Gulp peeler crab.

If you can get it within 5 feet of the front end of a redfish, you'll be on in just a few seconds.

If you're worried about the spook, just put it further out in front of him. He'll find it, those things stink.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I tried it a few time last year with a peeler crab. I caught Zilch, Nothing, and Nadda! The only bites I had were where little pinfish (I guess) nibbled the legs off the crabs.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yea the technique is definately effective on skittish fish. I started doin it for bass in saltwater but I did it pretty often in NC. It definately produces, especially with super scented baits like the gulp.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Gloryboy (10/2/2007)<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

Thanks for the responses. My next day off is the 12th of Oct. I guess I will try it out down in Matagorda.:letsdrink</BLOCKQUOTE>
I was just down in Corpus Christi for two weeks and I didn't catch anything to write home about. I was over in the Packard Channel. I did catch some 12 to 15in drum but being up here in P'Cola with the type of fish we always catch around here had me hoping for something bigger there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts